Virtua Combat - Demo 1 of 3!

Started by
6 comments, last by matt_j 19 years, 2 months ago
After an extreme amount of hard work, I'm proud to present the first demo of my Spectre clone, Virtua Combat! It can be downloaded here! Please be nice to me about bugs. This was and still is an enormous undertaking. Be sure to visit the Virtua Combat homepage. The downloaded zip contains a readme which has very useful info in it. Screenshots:

Advertisement
This has been in production for a long time. It took forever before I could even begin testing it.

Be sure to have fun with it! Maybe it will spark fond memories from when you were a youngster.
All I got was a splash screen and then some cinematic fly-overs of the world which I had to Alt+F4 out of (escape didn't work).

Specs:
WinXP
P4 ~1600
DX 9.0c
NVidia Riva TNT2 <-yeah I know it sucks, its my work comp ;)

Seemed to get ~20-30fps.
Yes, a TNT2 may have display problems. I tested on one with the latest drivers, and the lighting was off. I imagine some TNT owners will have a few issues. I recommend slightly newer graphics cards for now :P
Very impressive. I played a lot (I mean a LOT) of Spectre in my younger years and I loved it, and it seems you have kept true to the original. I liked your version of this game a lot, and I hope you keep working on this project, it has great potential with all the new features you will add.

I did notice several things about the game that you are probably already aware of, but are worth iterating. The collision detection for player bullets against enemy tanks is pretty loose. Often I shot "sorta near" the bad guy and destroyed him, when it was obvious the bullet was not really anywhere near colliding with it. Also, the clipping plane for enemies being visible was a bit short. I would often be driving along and then an enemy "popped up" very close to me, when it probably could have shown on screen a bit earlier at a farther distance.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
_____________________________http://www.deepbluefuture.com"Set Phasers to neuter...""2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2."
Thanks! I plan on making colission detection more realistic in the future. At the moment, I'm working on the networking. It's a tricky job and I want to get it as close to right as I can on the first try.

About the view distance, I tried to get it as close to the original game as possible (about 2 units). The scenario is actually what chooses this, so for some multiplayer modes, you'll be able to see much farther.
Fun! Good work. I got a crash on level two of a challenge match through. A message box said something like "obj_nosafeplacecreate: exceeded 5000 tries"
I was randomly shooting at the time, and last hit a pyramid.
There is a problem with object placement. I probably rushed something, so I told the game to kill itself if it couldn't place an object somewhere after 5000 random tests. That will be fixed soon enough. Networking is a challenge...

There's a Quake - style console in it now. It's for output only at the moment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement