Q. How do I define a game RPG, RTS, FPS?

Started by
11 comments, last by ishpeck 19 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by DarkSlayer
What should the engine be able to do?

The thing is, trying to specify an engine according to some purely speculatory game is essentially impossible, and is a backwards way of doing things.

The game is generally designed first, and the engine designed to meet the requirements of the game. Alternatively, a third party engine is chosen that most closely meets these requirements - possibly with a bit of tweaking of the game design in order to fit into the engine's capabilities, or rewriting of chunks of the engine where there's a problem.

Now, if you're just developing an engine, with the hope of turning it into a game later, then what features do you need? Well, there's no way of knowing what this hypothetical designer will need, so you just need to keep the engine as generic as possible so it can be relatively easily modified to suit his needs. Go ahead and implement all the fancy graphical features you want, but avoid writing any code which limits the game that can be created with it.
Advertisement
Sandman is right. If you hope to turn a game engine into a game later on, focus on getting the engine running and giving it the standard features. AI, Graphics, code, all should be standarnized. Dont spend forever placing in the latest and greates AI PathFinding configurations. Try to get it running before you start giving it too many features.
Quote:Original post by DarkSlayer
Let say I want to make an RTS game, a very simple one ... very simple, but expandable if I want it to be. . . . . This is just brief, but what should these genre include of different stuff?

You have spoken the forbidden genre words of intellectual prison!

It is not until the very ideas of genres leave your mind that you can find yourself capable of designing a whole, interesting, playable game.

-----------------"Building a game is the fine art of crafting an elegant, sophisticated machine and then carefully calculating exactly how to throw explosive, tar-covered wrenches into the machine to botch-up the works."http://www.ishpeck.net/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement