hierarchy chart (flowchart) software suggestions

Started by
23 comments, last by JD 19 years, 1 month ago
I want to create a hierarchy chart, or flowchart, of my software project's functions and units. I have limited knowledge of flowchart software, and those I know of are too complex and outrageously priced for my very simple need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (If no suitable software comes along, then suggestions for 'manual' construction of my hierarchy chart will be appreciated!) ... BTW, I have downloaded and tried SmartDraw's Organization Chart Software. (SmartDraw creates some of the most popular charting software packages in Google.) Org. Chart Software was $148 USD (or $198 on and after March 8th), which is unfortunately out of my range at the moment.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games

Advertisement
If you must document your designs using a CASE tool, I highly recommend Enterprise Architect by Sparx Systems. http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/ea.htm. I think you can get a copy for $75.
- Jason Citron- Programmer, Stormfront Studios- www.stormfront.com
Clash, thanks for your suggestion, r++. I will test out Enterprise Architect. Since I am on shared modem Internet, I will have to wait until overnight to download the trial version. :(

I wasn't sure what you meant by "CASE" when you mentioned "CASE tool", but I see that it means Computer-Aided Software Engineering. So, I'm not sure if I need a CASE tool as elaborate as the link I gave explains. Unless I do and just do not know it. Right now, I would like the structure of my project displayed in a simple hierachial chart. It will help clarify all the complexities of my program. It will also allow me to easily understand how to properly grow or improve the structure, when need be.

I will post my findings of this and other hierarchial chart software I test.

Hi,

Just a thought but maybe you should run your project through Doxygen and check out the graphs it produces. Consider downloading GraphViz' dot tool along with it to produce even more graphs.

Doxygen has helped me more than once to gain insight in a project I was new to.

BTW It's free [wink]

hth,
CipherCraft
For manual contruction of flow charts and hierarchy charts, I would try something like Inkscape, which is open source (read "Free!").

I've only used it briefly myself, but it's kind of like Microsoft Visio. It won't organize your ideas for you, but it will probably make them look organized.

CipherCraft, thanks for the suggestion, r++.

I am looking at Doxygen now, and I am interested in the dependency graphs and inheritance diagrams. Can you help me find an example of these? I am looking at the real-life projects using doxygen, particulary mozilla, and I cannot figure out how to see the inheritenace diagrams.

kingnosis, thanks for the Inkscape suggestion, r++. It sounds like almost everything I want. Do the lines connecting the boxes stay connected when you move the boxes around? (Apologies for my slow Internet. I cannot download and test programs quickly. I have to wait until overnight to download them.)

I am also busy checking out Dia, which is supposedly similar to the Microsoft's Visio. I have not checked it out, but Visio Standard 2003, the cheapest version, is $199 US.

(I will post more on other software later.)

Hi,

I think the doxygen site has a list of projects using doxygen somewhere. Sec... Here: clicky. It is conveniently hidden as Doxygen users. [wink]

hth,
CipherCraft
CipherCraft, thanks. I was already checking out mozilla. Can you help point me to how I show off the hierarchy diagrams?

Here's a doxygen example from our project: Example.

acraig, thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to see. R++.

Now I realize this is a class hierarchy diagram, which is not what I want. I want a hierarchy diagram of my units and functions, not classes. I think I will do this manually. Overnight, I will download nearly all the programs mentions thus far, and test them out tomorrow.

[Edited by - Matthew Doucette on March 8, 2005 1:44:18 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement