Jagged edges

Started by
1 comment, last by circlesoft 19 years, 2 months ago
I'm trying to track the cause of 'jagged edges' on a primitive. My application can render a surface primitive or a solid primitive (using the Parasolids kernel). When I render a surface, for example, a cylinder, it looks fine. If I render a solid cylinder, I get jagged edges. When I rotate the solid cylinder, the edges smoothe out and disappear when I've rotated it so I'm looking directly down on it. It almost appears to be a problem with lighting or shadows. Eventhough I can make out the boundary of the solid, the triangles at the edge appear to be in the 'dark'. Anyone have an idea what's casuing this?
Gort...Klaatu, Barada Nikto!
Advertisement
Sounds like Z-buffering.. shouldn't be if I understand the scenario... but jagged edges are (always?) the cause of Z-buffer when the precision gets too low.

It could be a couple different things, depending on the serverity of jaggedness. Like Syranide suggested, it could be a z-buffer error. Could you post your projection matrix code? This is usually a source of z-buffer errors.

It could also be an aliasing issue, but the jaggies are usually a lot less noticable if this is the case.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement