newbie-need help printing function-class name to screen

Started by
6 comments, last by deadimp 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I am deveploping a text based rpg-puzzle game, sorta like zork. I am writing a function that lists the players current items, this is obviously a case where I need to test every item to see if its in the players possesion. I have my function evaluate what items are currently possesed by the player by testing all item to see if their amount is more than 0. I need to tell it to print the item name to the screen if its amount is more than 0. The only way I can think of is to make a long list of if...else statement, which would be about 3 pages long. Is there a keyword, function, procedurer, or alternitive way I can acomplish this? Also, is this an incredibly stupid question? Thanks, Tim BTW I'm programing in C++, not C
"I have had to exist in a dream world my entire life. No ground I have stood upon has been real. All those I have loved, all those I have hated...figments of my mind.I yearn to be broken. I yearn to die. I yearn to stand on ground I know is real, if only for a second. I yearn...for reality."
Advertisement
Could you post your code? I don't see why you would need 3 pages of if's unless you didn't use arrays which is just sillyness.
Hi,

Arrays? You mean make my items into arrays? What part of the code would you want me to post?

Tim
"I have had to exist in a dream world my entire life. No ground I have stood upon has been real. All those I have loved, all those I have hated...figments of my mind.I yearn to be broken. I yearn to die. I yearn to stand on ground I know is real, if only for a second. I yearn...for reality."
If you're using C++, create an Item class and a Player class. In the Item class, have a std::string called ItemName. In the Player class have a std::list called Inventory. Create functions in this class to add items, remove items, get items, etc. You did say you're using C++ so there's not much of a reason to do it through nested if statements/reference counting.
- A momentary maniac with casual delusions.
Quote:Original post by Timmygyu
What part of the code would you want me to post?

Your item class/struct, were the items are defined and were you are attempting to print them.

#include <fstream>#include <cstdlib>#include <string>#include <vector>using namespace std;class ItemData{private:string Name;unsigned long OtherData;public:string GetName(){return Name;}void SetName(string ItemName){Name=ItemName;}ItemData::ItemData(){Name="";OtherData=0;}ItemData::ItemData(string ItemName){Name=ItemName;OtherData=0;}};vector<ItemData> ItemVtr;int main(){ItemData TmpItemData("Sword of 1337");ItemVtr.push_back(TmpItemData);for(long i=0;i<ItemVtr.size();i++){cout << ItemVtr.GetName() << "\n";}char c;cin >> c;return 0;}

Something like that? I really can't help without any code.

EDIT: Sorry about my bad coding style [wink]

[Edited by - Scet on March 2, 2005 2:00:12 PM]
If it were me, I'd make each item a structure, and give them each a unique ID. The structure can contain info such as the item name, weight, and anything else you want. You can then have an array of those structures, and use the unique ID as an index. Then you just need to store a list of integers for the player, where each integer is the item index.

Assuming you're using the STL for string and vector (since you said you're using C++, but you can use char*'s and your own list type if you like), an example:
struct Item{   string strName;   int    nWeight;   // Any other attributes you want};// You could use this, or a std::pair<int,int>. This is for claritystruct InventoryItem{   int nItemID;   int nQuantity;};const Item[] g_theItems = {   {"Sword", 10},   {"Shield", 15},   {"Hamburger", 1}}// The player then has a list of items like this:vector<InventoryItem> m_theInventory;// And then, to print all your items:cout << "You have" << m_theInventory.size() << " items in your inventory:" << endl;for(size_t i=0; i<m_theInventory.size(); ++i){   cout << g_theItems[m_theInventory.nItemID].strName << ": " << m_theInventory.nQuantity << endl;}

Or something like that anyway.

EDIT: Beaten by Scet
Hi,

I'm gonna try out some of what you suggested. Thanks for the answers and i'll try to get on tomorrow.

Thanks,
Tim
Well, for those of us who are lazy (including me), you can use the typeid operator. This returns the name of the class directly, so that could be a potentially downfall also.
Exmaple:
class Timmy;...Timmy tinyTim;cout << typeid(tinyTim).name(); //Would print "class Timmy"...

You could try and reformatting the name by cutting out the first 6 characters, but if you want better results, you might want to try the array ideas mentioned above.
Projects:> Thacmus - CMS (PHP 5, MySQL)Paused:> dgi> MegaMan X Crossfire

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement