Books for DirectX, I've programmed in OpenGL

Started by
5 comments, last by bakery2k1 19 years, 1 month ago
Hi guys, I've programmed in Open GL and used shaders, texture maps and Matrix stack and transforms and all the good stuff. I am having hard time finding a good book for someone like me that will get me started in DirectX. Any recommendations, sorry if this is repetation, I looked around quickly in FAQs but they don't address these questions. Thanks -Rahul
Advertisement
i've read many books but "introduction to 3d game programming with directx 9" is the best for beginners like you and me!
if you know opengl and programmed so far you can skip some parts. and also this book is a beginning not the whole thing. another resource should be directx sdk documentation which is 100 times better than each and every book.
i'm in your current situation but reverse. i know directx well and i want to move to openGL what do you suggest me to read? not very professional i dont want to program in openGL just to see what it is and what it has...
THX
sorry for posting twice
Quote:Original post by ehsan_the_tiamat
sorry for posting twice

It happens [smile]. You can always edit your duplicate posts, check the 'Delete this post' checkbox, and click "Make Modifications".

i've read many books but "introduction to 3d game programming with directx 9" is the best for beginners like you and me!
if you know opengl and programmed so far you can skip some parts. and also this book is a beginning not the whole thing. another resource should be directx sdk documentation which is 100 times better than each and every book.
Doubly agreed and seconded.
i'm in your current situation but reverse. i know directx well and i want to move to openGL what do you suggest me to read? not very professional i dont want to program in openGL just to see what it is and what it has...
THX
I still think that Beginning OpenGL Game Programming is good, though with substantial DirectX experience questionable, and the Red Book is great. You shouldn't have trouble with some experience running through that book. It's what I did coming from a DX background as well.
Thanks guys. I have done OpenGL almost 7 years ago. I don't remember the book, but it was sort of Red/Maron/Magenta in color. Wish remembered the name.

Thanks anyways for DirectX pointer.
-Rahul
"The red book". Previous editions were a darker, more maroon colour.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement