Artists that know programming?

Started by
26 comments, last by Deyja 19 years, 1 month ago
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums here, and I have a question I've been hearing a lot about. I'm a 3D artist, with some background in photoshop, and a lot of my friends are telling me it's important for artists to have some experience with coding. Is this generally a good idea? I have no knowledge of coding whatsoever. I can do a little HTML and actionscript, but throw anything besides links and gotoAndPlay at me and I'll be stumped. Should I go out and learn some basic C++ or something? ~Alex
-------
Creative Labs' Poser: Finally a 3D package that describes its target audience.
Advertisement
most of the artists at my company have zero knowledge of programming. however, those that do ROCK! =)

-me
It's a good idea to learn as much as you can about everything. However, since that can be time consuming, we all tend to specialize.

I'm an artist-turned-programmer, and quite frankly, i'm enjoying the programming a bit more. Good design in a program requires many of the same skills as good design for a website or brochure page layout or an art project of some kind. It's just more technical and functional.

Technically, i don't see a huge relation between graphics and programming though. It's good for each camp to know a bit about the other, but honestly i don't see a large connection.
Depends on which kind of art. Concept art? No programming knowledge needed. Modelling? It would be nice to be able to script the odd thing and know what it does. For instance, in our engine we have very very limited scripting embedded in our animations.

That said, knowledge is always a good thing, so learn everything you can.

-Greg
I am the opposite, I am a programmer who should learn to do art.
One of the most frustrating things artists do is not follow the guidelines programmers give them. If a programmer tells you all sprites must be a certain size, he has a good reason for it. If you give me all different sizes, you're just going to piss him off. Sometimes, he can't explain to you why it needs to be a certain way - but if you understand some of the technical side, you'll make it easier for him to explain, and generally make communication much simpler.
The converse is also true. The programmer who knows nothing of art may not understand why you complain when he wants every single sprite in the entire game - even the big ass dragons - to be the exact same size.

I know it's a contrived example, and I've only seen it from the programmers perspective, but... I had this one guy. I told him, 32bit targa's, power of 2, use the alpha channel. He gave me color-keyed bitmaps in resolutions like 50*30.
What if the artist was working in a small environment? Maybe a team of 3-4 people?
-------
Creative Labs' Poser: Finally a 3D package that describes its target audience.
im an artist who liked to design games learned to program and then recently got back into art

i think you should know a little programing
like python or some other simple language
artist do not need to know coding, but it would be good idea to learn scripting. such as html or Flash Action script, and maybe even max script.
Thanhda TieDigital Shock, Technical Director & Business Relations15-75 Bayly Street West, Suite #173Ajax, Ontario, L1S 7K7Tel: 416.875.1634http://www.digitalshock.net
I am graduated as a programmer, though I paint since my childhood.
Now, my daily job is programming, and I freelance as an artist.
So it is not impossible.

You should learn the basics, at least, in my opinion to improve communication.
A programmer is rarely able to communicate well (don't mean any offense), you have to take a step towards her/him.
Signature:http://www.easternraider.comhttp://www.easternraider.com/gallery

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement