Ogre questions related to polycounts and how well ogre runs with huge loads.

Started by
5 comments, last by MENTAL 19 years, 1 month ago
Hi I am seeking some information that is important to our project. We are planning to use the Ogre engine and my questions are; 1. Has anyone used ogre for large scale multi player before? 2. If so, what problems did you encounter with the playing cells(were they to big)? 3. What is a good poly count for each play Cell not including players? The average poly count for our avatar models is 2500 to 3k. We esimated the likleyhood of more than 10 on your screen at any given time to get our numbers. (25,000 Player characters only) We are holding our cell poly counts at 15,000 for now to be safe. We can later alter this if we find the engine stable enough to render high poly areas. We realize that the engine must load everyone within a set radius of the player so it is prepared to show them when the time comes. We have some information from another programmer that stated that we should keep our poly count lower because the Ogre engine does not handle huge poly worlds very well (indluding characters) Any information would be great. Thank you ahead of time.
Troy Gann3d artist/Webmaster/SFXSpiderweb@Keywaves.com
Advertisement
I hate to be the one to point out the obvious, but wouldn't asking this question on the Orge forums yeild better results, as theoretically everyone there is using it?
Oh snap!
Yes, you are probally correct. I was hoping to get feed back and answers here from people who might not be bias about the engine because they are using it right now. (Reason exists why I posted here):)
Quote:Original post by Spiderweb
The average poly count for our avatar models is 2500 to 3k.

I'm not much of a graphics programmer so my estimate might be way off but that sounds pretty high for a character. And when you get a load of them in one place at once you'll be adding graphical latency to your network latency.
I am hoping to shave off some of the polys on the characters, but first I wanted to verify some issues I was concerned with before I took this step. I think we could get the characters to around 2k and keep them looking good. You mentioned the some of the things that I am concerned with. we have one cell that is 15k polys environment and we are working on calculating the amount of players that could be visible on a players screen at one time but it is difficult to calculate until we have some more information to work with. Obviously at distance you can fit more on screen than would be there when right at point blank range. Im thinking ditering would lighten some of this but I dont want to use that as a crutch this early on but rather use it if we (NEED) to.
Doom 3's character models were in that range, and you could easily have 10 or more on screen at once. The reason Doom 3 can't handle it too well is due to the stupid amount of stencil shadows that need to be performed. With shadow buffers (or fewer lights) this wouldn't be much of an issue.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement