🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

little about Jeff Molofee

Started by
30 comments, last by havensgate 22 years, 9 months ago
AvianRR: I can definately sympathize with you but I don''t think its a great idea to immediately jump into a huge programming project (ie: game). I''ve seen a lot of my friends start something like this, spend months upon months working on it only to get frustrated with it and either give up or finish it just for the sake of finishing. Then they have something totally unimpressing that they wasted another 2 years on. This is a huge topic on the gamedev forums.

I, myself, would prefer to work on a team for awhile (under a lead programmer. Someone I can learn from). Working in a team isn''t a problem. I''d RATHER work in a team. Nobody can do it themselves anymore. We''re not in the days of one guy coding in his basement and coming out with DOOM anymore. Some guys can do it I guess but they''re the exception (coding wizards). Communication isn''t the problem for me either. I can convey what I''m thinking quite easily. I can sit and talk about design and flow all day. Doesn''t mean I can code a full blown OO program. You still need the skills to back up the talk (talk the talk, walk the walk).
I found out that I''m eligible for a TN-1 (technical working visa) in a year and a half. If you have ''4 years of University'' or a ''2 year technical diploma + 3 years field experience'' you can get one at the border. I guess I''ll make that a plan of action. Waste my time here for another year or so then go for the gusto. Hopefully I''ll see you in a couple years JizzRoy.

I''ve been thinking a lot about certification lately. As always, it comes down to money. It comes down to either write an exam which will take me one step closer to certification or feed my family for another two weeks (or put fuel in my truck to make it to work to make more money). Ugghh. It''s a vicious circle.
NeHe: Better start swamping BioWare with resumes! (When your brother works there he can get you in ) Or if you wanna live in Vancouver apply with the Homeworld guys (Raven?).
Man, if I had the money I''d go to Digipen. They''re a school in BC (Vancouver I think) that train you specifically for making games. They have a programming course ($10,000!) and a graphic design course ( > $13,000 !). OuCh!
Exo

Money makes the world go ''round.
Advertisement
Man.. to all the people out there that CAN'' T READ ..

it''s HAVEN ... H A V E N .. s gate.

havens
gate

no HEAVEN .. no cult association..
no mass suicide..
no idealistic cult thingies of any nature.

LOL .. sigh.. man I get that one a lot.

Haha.. look what I started with a simple comment about La Mafia''s job.
LOL, but it''s o true.

Too bad I suck, or I''d be outta here already.

Graphics guy fixing 6 yr out dated artwork and having to recreate from a scan of a pail.

---------------------------------------------------
If it moves shoot it. If it doesn''t move, shoot it anyways. It might move later.
---------------------------------------------------
Havensgate
"guardian of the few"
---------------------------------------------------If it moves shoot it. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyways. It might move later.---------------------------------------------------Havensgate"guardian of the few"
totally true: team, communication, beiing focussed, self-organization, writing code documentation... That''s more important. Many hobby coders don''t realize this cause they never worked in a team or on a large project. I can''t imagine that more than a few hobby coders write real code documentation or that they ever thought about using some programs to manage theri source files ;-) But I think it''s really a fun thing, you can learn something new every day. Even if C++ has only such fe keywords, there''s MUCH to learn about OOP...

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Hey Jeff, if you start a company, contact me, I would love to meet you and if I qualify join you! Give me one more year though. That way I could get more experiance and a permit

L8r,
The Rainmaker
quote: Original post by tcs

While I think Jeff is a kick-ass coder, I have to say that object orientation is VERY important. I mean using an API like OpenGL is really, really easy. You usualy spend 1-5% of your dev time with OpenGL. The hard part is doing things like BSP trees, ROAM and A* algorithms. And then comes C++. You can''t compare doing a small example or perhaps even doing a larger demo with doing a whole game ! That''s a hell of a difference. I see many many good coders totally fail when they try to make big projects. I needs lots of eperience to do big C++ projects. Everytime I wrote something a bit larger I improve my coding skills. You always learn more and think your old code is crappy.
It''s all about engine design and keeping focused. That''s the tough part!

Yep. Eg. a LOT of demo coders have started game projects, but I don''t know anyone else but Remedy Entertainment who have actually finished a game project. Demo coders can perhaps make excellent 3D engines and such, but it doesn''t prepare you to big projects like a game.

-Jussi
Are you really from Alberta, NeHe? If you are thats pretty darn cool. I''m from Alberta too (about 2 hours east of Edmonton, little cowpoke town called vermilion)!

"Never pet a burning dog." - Warcraft II
to: ExoZagNoid
I''m not just jumping into writing a game! I''ve been working up to that for 4 years! I''ve got a dozen good ideas and I can do all the codeing! I have a friend that can make some decent background music, but I''m still stuck for someone to do some of the graphics work (making the texture maps and 3d models). I''m not planning on whipping a game out in the next couple months eather! If it''s out by christmas NEXT year I''ll be ahead of schedual!
To: tcs (and anyone else interested)
On my website ( http://tannara.2y.net/ ) I''m writing my own set of opengl tutorials useing Object orientation! I''m in the process of rewriting the first two tutorials that set up the basic application but after that I''ll have classes for everything from images and animations to 3d objects and textures maps (fixed and animated). Please forgive the server if it''s a little slow the sites on my friends system (for financial reasons) and isn''t 100% reliable! Please visit and point out any mistakes or just make sugesstions!

"The people that are truly smart are the ones that know what they don''t know!" - Me
------------------------------Piggies, I need more piggies![pig][pig][pig][pig][pig][pig]------------------------------Do not invoke the wrath of the Irken elite. [flaming]
Hey Avian, I do 3d architecural models al the time. I suck at coding but I''d love to participate in something by doing 3d models and/or 2d textures. Let me know if I can help.
JizzRoy - I live in Colorado Springs too! But I havnt gotten any job offers (well, it could be because im 13...but..) I didnt know this was a good place to find a job. Well, maybe so considering 90% of the people at my school dont know what in the heck im talking about when I say ''Linux'' and sometimes even ''DOS'', let along ''C++''

McDougal...DUCK McDougal
http://www.labino.net
Maybe someone else said this, but I don''t think so. Jeff, DON''T MOVE TO THE USA!!! I live there, right in the middle of silicon vally. I''m next to san fransisco. There is currently no work whatsoever. There''s a talanted IT guy that rents in our house, and he can''t find work. Neither can almost anyone else right now. The job market loosened big time over the last year. It used to be tight, with it guys of every talant level in high demand. If you knew how to type, you could get a job. Now every job comes with a tag much like this:

-------
REQUIR.
-------
-5 Years Experience With Unix <--- Not Kidding
-4 Years Experience With Win2k <--- HAHAHA!! (I''ve seen it)
-Knowledge of [insert noname script language here]
-Masters In Information Technology
-A+ Certified
-MCSE Certified
-Willing To Travel

And more... I''m seriouse about all of it too. Who writes the job requirements? It seems not people who understand computers or the market. Either way. I''d steer clear of the USA for while (at least for jobs). Things HAVE to return to normal soon. If you wanted me to explain the entire situation around here, it would be longer than myopic''s post about gdnet.
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement