very easy templates tutorial?

Started by
4 comments, last by Drew_Benton 19 years, 1 month ago
some time ago I asked a question about 2 linked lists and how I could use the functions (which are the same for both linked lists) for both lists. Some of you answered I should use templates and now I tried but failed. Can someone show me a very small example or give me the link to a very simple tutorial about them? I know I could also use the std::list (or something similar) but I see this as the opportunity to become familiar with this template stuff...
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Advertisement
write the class using the data type T with the template declaration before it

template< class T >struct ListNode{     ListNode<T> * next;     ListNode<T> * prev;     T             data;};template < class T >class List {    T GetFrontData() { return head->data; }    T GetBackData()  { return tail->data; }private:    ListNode<T> * head;    ListNode<T> * tail;    }; 

then just fill in the T when instanciate the class and if youve writin it correctly it should work.

Just Be carefull about making assumptions about T

T t;
t = t * 6; UH OH CAN T BE MULTIPLIED !!!!!
thx, that looks like a small example :)
I think I need to make a very small console test program to play around with it for a while and get familiar until I try to implement this into my stuff...
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Here's a quick little tutorial on templates. It is fairly useful, but you are right about playing around with it first. Templates can be the devil!

- Drew
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
Here's a quick little tutorial on templates. It is fairly useful, but you are right about playing around with it first. Templates can be the devil!

- Drew

Thanks for the word of warning... I read through your devil-thread and now I'm asking myself: wtf is a xpp or tpp file? Is it just a file which you include but you call it tpp because you have all the templates in it?
Oh yea, it's just a another name for a file. Like it is just a common practice to use .cpp and .h and .c for your files. You can use like: #include "myheader.abc" - the compiler doesn't care what it's called, just wether or not it can find it.

As for your source files, they work in a similar way. However, in most IDEs like VS, .cpp is automatically compiled, so if you use something else, you will have to make sure it is compiled as a source file. Like if you add a .txt, it will not be compiled as a source file.

Take a look at another old (and dumb) post of mine to see a good use for using alternative names [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement