Should I install Visual C++ 2005 Beta?

Started by
13 comments, last by DaCracker 19 years ago
This is a follow-up to a post I made earlier about Visual C++ 6.0 and it was suggested I just upgrade. I was wondering If I should go for the free 2005 beta, can anyone reccomend it (how beta is it :P)?
Advertisement
It's awesome. It doesn't feel beta at all. There are no words to describe how highly I recommend this product.
I don't know if you read my response to your last thread if not the reason for not using VC++ 6.0 has very little to do with the IDE it's the compiler itself its defunct.

Anyways back to the issue in terms of standard c++ compliancey VC++ 8.0 (aka .NET 2k5) hasn't changed abit if at all from VC++ 7.1 thats 98% standard compliant, VC++ 8.0 adds a new standardized language called C++/CLI (that is still being finalized) but that doesn't really concern you for the time being your not required to use it besides.

I'd suggest getting VC++ .NET 2k3 toolkit (it's free, no IDE check my signature) for anything serious until VC++ 2k5 express is finally released. You can hook VC++ 7.1 toolkit with VC++ 6.0's IDE if you want.

The lastest express beta is number 2 (february 2005 community technical preview release), the IDE is very nice (updated quite abit from 1) but seems quite unstable at the moment to me how-ever the compiler adds fixes & updates mainly todo with C++/CLI and implements the new secure versions of the C I/O functions. Express beta 1 is more stable but quite abit out of date.
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
I don't know if you read my response to your last thread if not the reason for not using VC++ 6.0 has very little to do with the IDE it's the compiler itself its defunct.

Anyways back to the issue in terms of standard c++ compliancey VC++ 8.0 (aka .NET 2k5) hasn't changed abit if at all from VC++ 7.1 thats 98% standard compliant, VC++ 8.0 adds a new standardized language called C++/CLI (that is still being finalized) but that doesn't really concern you for the time being your not required to use it besides.

I'd suggest getting VC++ .NET 2k3 toolkit (it's free, no IDE check my signature) for anything serious until VC++ 2k5 express is finally released. You can hook VC++ 7.1 toolkit with VC++ 6.0's IDE if you want.

The lastest express beta is number 2 (february 2005 community technical preview release), the IDE is very nice (updated quite abit from 1) but seems quite unstable at the moment to me how-ever the compiler adds fixes & updates mainly todo with C++/CLI. Express beta 1 is more stable but alittle out of date.

Ya I understand that. In addition to the compiler being defunct, in the original post I was also annoyed with some missing features in the 6.0 IDE (error highlighting and lack of line numbers in the left margin).
I'm using the February CTP of VS 2005, and although it feels faster than beta 1 there are definitely rough edges remaining. Plus the .NET 2.0 class libraries are still changing considerably (primarily Winforms from what I can tell), so don't count on .NET code you write now to work when it's finally released.

But it's still too awesome to stop me :D

In vc6 IDE you can click on the error in the build bar and that will take you to the error in the source. I have a toolbar goto button that I hit and type in a line number and that takes me to the line in source as well. I use that when I hit an assert() that lists a linenumber I need to goto. I never needed the line numbers feature nor that left side bar so I turned it off. Linenumber is displayed on the status bar when you click in a source file. It makes sense to get a new compiler if you can afford it but vc6 is a pretty good tool as well.
I am currently using the Visual C++ 7.1 (2003) IDE and I have no complaints. Before I made the transition from Visual C++ 6.0 I made sure to test out the beta Whidbey. It was definately great, and I do plan on upgrading as soon as it comes out. I just didn't feel like having all of my code defunct when the beta was over (and the product was not immediately released). So I am waiting until we see Visual Studio 2005 (or whatever it will be called) to purchase it.

But I do highly reccommend it as a free IDE, and to not mention a free (great) compiler. It's one of the few Microsoft products that outshines everything else in it's class in most of the areas.
-John "bKT" Bellone [homepage] [[email=j.bellone@flipsidesoftware.com]email[/email]]
with vs2005 i would definitely until beta2 when the verifiable stl is expected to be shown off (if you're interested in the managed side of c++, that is). if you're not going to be writing managed code then there's no need to wait. the current drop of vc++2005 is quite stable and the compiler does its work nicely.
i'm using visual c++ express 2005 beta, and it's the best ide i've ever used. period.
Woop woop woop woop!
Quote:Original post by DrZoidberg
i'm using visual c++ express 2005 beta, and it's the best ide i've ever used. period.

*shudder*. Erm, i'd disagree - I used it for about 6 months, and my conclusions are this :

1. I can't use visual assist with it. damn.
2. The compiler is nowhere near as good as the VC++ 2003 toolkit compiler.
3. I coudn't get the 2003 compiler to work with the 2005 IDE cos they seem to have changed some flags around to prevent that.
4. It's a tad crippled if you want to do anything serious.
5. How many crappy files does it generate? I don't want all that crap in my code directories!
6. The 2005 compiler produces large and slow executables. I'm sure they'll fix that by the time of final release, but that's a problem if you want to use it now for anything serious.

The only plus as far as the current .NET IDE goes is that it's (currently) available for free. If you haven't got VC++ .NET and don't want to spend money, then get it. If you have got VC++ .NET, then you've already got a much better IDE & the free 2003 toolkit gives you all the optimisations you'll need. It's the compiler that's my biggest bug bear about 2005. It's cack. I'm sure when it's all finished then it will no doubt be good, until then it's ok for home coders but not much else....

my 2 cents.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement