April 2005 SDK is out

Started by
29 comments, last by wazoo69 19 years, 1 month ago
Did you also download and install the Windows Platform SDK? I believe those paths need to come before your DirectX.
Advertisement
Yes... I put my dx sdk paths below my windows sdk paths.
The errors look like

somefile.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol (followed by a long string of info)

somefile.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol (follow some more long strings of info)

there are over 100 of them.
Quote:Original post by Trip99
So they removed DirectShow and have not yet replaced it. I asked them about this but got no reply, it seems daft to take it out of the DirectX SDK before it is introduced into the Platform SDK. From what I can tell DirectX is slowly being taken apart as we lead up to Longhorn. I suspect DirectX will become just Direct3D (renamed WGF) and Microsoft will move stuff into the Platform SDK and concentrate on the XNA tools. Personally I think it is a shame to do this as it was neat having all the APIs in one SDK.

The reality is that DirectShow is not designed to be the optimal solution for simply playing video onto a surface. DirectShow is great for writing digital audio/video applications, especially those where editing or transforming the streams is important. Most games do not require the feature set that DirectShow provides and the DirectX 9 SDK is being targetted more and more at game developers.

As for an alternative, the Video for Windows API appears to be sufficient for alot of people's playback needs. There are also commercial alternatives that are already popular such as Bink (http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm). As always, we're constantly evaluating Windows as a games platform and we're monitoring demand for a new playback solution. If you have comments or concerns about our offerings (or lack thereof) in this space, email directx@microsoft.com

As for the future of the SDK, our primary goal with the SDK is to be the source for Windows games and graphics programming information and best practices. We will move some stuff to the Platform SDK, especially those technologies that are in maintenance mode or are considered obsolete.

I hope this helps.

Paul Bleisch

Paul
What is the deal with changing DirectSound, is that going too (the suggestion is that in the "Whats new" section of the SDK)?

Is microsoft ridding themselves of anything but graphics in the SDK?

Those are basically the only two concerns I have because if so, it would be useful to know since that will affect my current project.
No no no no! :)
Quote:Original post by kam1su2
The errors look like

somefile.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol (followed by a long string of info)

somefile.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol (follow some more long strings of info)

there are over 100 of them.

Express doesn't link to any system libraries by default (since it doesn't ship with them). Installing the Platform SDK makes them available, but you still need to specify which get linked. I believe there is a FAQ where you dloaded Express that lists the libs you need.
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
the swapping of paths didn't work...
Where can i find this FAQ at... I would love to check it out. Hope it works.
Find Tools->Options and then "Projects and Solutions" on the left. Click on "VC++ Directories"

I don't have it anymore so I can't verify it. But give it a try.
No no no no! :)
Quote:Original post by paulble
Quote:Original post by Trip99

The reality is that DirectShow is not designed to be the optimal solution for simply playing video onto a surface. DirectShow is great for writing digital audio/video applications, especially those where editing or transforming the streams is important. Most games do not require the feature set that DirectShow provides and the DirectX 9 SDK is being targetted more and more at game developers.

As for an alternative, the Video for Windows API appears to be sufficient for alot of people's playback needs. There are also commercial alternatives that are already popular such as Bink (http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm). As always, we're constantly evaluating Windows as a games platform and we're monitoring demand for a new playback solution. If you have comments or concerns about our offerings (or lack thereof) in this space, email directx@microsoft.com

As for the future of the SDK, our primary goal with the SDK is to be the source for Windows games and graphics programming information and best practices. We will move some stuff to the Platform SDK, especially those technologies that are in maintenance mode or are considered obsolete.

I hope this helps.

Paul Bleisch

Paul

Thank you Paul.
Great, I'm now 2 releases behind... gotta stick with Dec04 in order to stabilise the development process.

Quote:Original post by paulble
Most games do not require the feature set that DirectShow provides and the DirectX 9 SDK is being targetted more and more at game developers.

As for an alternative, the Video for Windows API appears to be sufficient for alot of people's playback needs.

Anything to simplify getting videos into our game is appreciated [smile]. DShow was not the most friendly component of the SDK... I lost countless hours of time and sleep trying to get DShow to render our intro movies into a D3D environment... [sad]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement