Particle System and Vertex Shaders.

Started by
2 comments, last by Mastadex 19 years ago
Im doing a project right now that requires me to use a particle system. What was suggested to me is to modify the particle system to use vertex shaders. I have no idea where to begin. can anyone suggest resources, books, tutorials, etc? Thanks.
Advertisement
This is a tuffy because I currently run a particle system without using vertex shaders... but I might hafta begin using them just cause :). But "Programming Vertex and Pixel Shaders" by Engel will getcha started on simple knowledge of P and V shaders. Using D3DX Effect framework btw. I think ShaderX3 has a section on using them for particle systems, but the book assums you know the basics.
--X
Before you jump into shaders, you should figure out if it worth your time. Switching to a vertex shader might be a waste of time.

Here are three cases where switching to a vertex shader might be a good idea:
1. You perform the same calculation (with the same values) on every vertex. For example, my particle system consists of rotating quads. Rather than rotate all the vertexes on the CPU, I rotate them in the vertex shader.
2. You want to do something that cannot be done with the fixed pipeline.
3. You want to use a pixel shader. Generally, if you use a pixel shader, you must provide a vertex shader.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Well this is a school project that I have to do. First thing is to build the particle engine and then eventually use vertex shaders. So i dont have much of a choice. Other then the Engle book (which i cannot get on such short notice) are there any tutorials available?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement