c++ decimal rounding

Started by
9 comments, last by silvermace 19 years ago
Can anyone point me to a place that shows me how to do this?
Advertisement
To round down, just cast to an int:
float f = 1234.5678; int n = (int)f;
To round to the nearest number, add 0.5 and cast:
float f = 1234.5678; int n = (int)(f+0.5f);
Or, the c library math.h provides:

double round(double);float  roundf(float);// as well asdouble ceil(double);float  ceilf(float);double floor(double);float floorf(float);

which do rounding, round up, and round down, respectively.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
To round down, just cast to an int:
float f = 1234.5678; int n = (int)f;
To round to the nearest number, add 0.5 and cast:
float f = 1234.5678; int n = (int)(f+0.5f);

Casting to int does not round down, it truncates (which would round down for positive numbers and round up for negatives). As well, casting to an integer value and back is a costly operation. Use floor for rounding down.

Edit:

Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Or, the c library math.h provides:

double round(double);
float roundf(float);

There's round in math? I don't think so...
how about if I want to round from 4 to 2 decimal places....
I knew about the math.h had the ceil and floor methods, but I'm not sure how to round without totally getting rid of all decimals.
Rounds Number to nearest Precision from Anchor
The return value is always representable as (Integer * Precision) + Anchor.

To round to 5 decimal places, use pow(10, -5) as the precision and 0 as Anchor.
To round to the nearest 3 from 1 (so possible values are 1, 4, 7, etc) use precision 3 and anchor 1.
double Round(double p_Number, double p_Precision, double p_Anchor = 0){   if(p_Number < p_Anchor)   {      return ceil((p_Number - p_Anchor) / p_Precision) * p_Precision + p_Anchor;   }   else   {      return floor((p_Number - p_Anchor) / p_Precision) * p_Precision + p_Anchor;   }}
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by fooman_69
how about if I want to round from 4 to 2 decimal places....
I knew about the math.h had the ceil and floor methods, but I'm not sure how to round without totally getting rid of all decimals.

You could multiply the number you are rounding by the base of the number system to the power of the number of places you wish to round off to. Then round that value, then divide back. Another option is you could add half of the accuracy, divide the starting value by the accuracy you need, round the result appropriately, then multiply that value by the accuracy you chose. Yet another option would be to take the starting value, add half of the accuracy and then subtract the result of an ::std::fmod (in cmath) of it by the accuracy you want. That's 3 different solutions.

Always keep in mind that you are dealing with floating point values so the exact rounded version of the value that you want may simply not be representable. Prefer using fixed point math if you absolutely must be exact.
Quote:Original post by Polymorphic OOP

ROUND(3)                NetBSD Library Functions Manual               ROUND(3)NAME     round, roundf - round to nearest integral valueLIBRARY     Math Library (libm, -lm)SYNOPSIS     #include <math.h>     double     round(double x);     float     roundf(float x);DESCRIPTION     The round() and roundf() functions return the nearest integral value to     x; if x lies halfway between two integral values, then these functions     return the integral value with the larger absolute value (i.e., they     round away from zero).SEE ALSO     ceil(3), floor(3), ieee(3), math(3), rint(3)STANDARDS     The round() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (``ISO C99'').

Relatively recent addition, but it's there.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Quote:Original post by Polymorphic OOP

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Relatively recent addition, but it's there.

Are you sure it's standard? I don't believe so. Comeau doesn't recognize it in C99 mode though does in C90. Also, I don't see it mentioned in the C++ standard and comeau does not recognize it in C++ mode either.

Edit: I guess it is standard in C99 and comeau just doesn't recognize it for some reason.
manpage says C99.

Nothing really definative comes up in my search, but these seem to indicate it is.

http://www.dinkumware.com/conform_c.html
http://members.aol.com/wantondeb/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement