Is the universal term "guys" offensive to women?

Started by
120 comments, last by Oluseyi 19 years, 1 month ago
I feel that respecting people is a very important thing. I sometimes (well, often) feel that as an American, I've been brought up in a society that has become desensetized to the degredation of women. Though I would never fault an individual for adopting the faults of a culture, I do feel it is every person's responsibility to recognize those faults and adjusting his or her attitude/beliefs accordingly. When I use the term "guys" referring to a group of mixed gender, I feel I'm using it as just a generalized, asexual term. However I wonder if that it is entirely inoccuous. I mean, shouldn't it then work the same way. Wouldn't I (or any other guy) find it weird if I were lumped in to a group referred to as girls? "I'll see you girls later" While I wouldn't be offended, I would certainly find it out of place. This makes me feel it might not right to do the other way around, but I'm not entirely sure. I have often felt we need a personalized, asexual pronoun. 99% of the time it's "A person can bring his family and..." Occasionally texts will switch off between his and her, but wouldn't it be easier if we just had a personalized version of "it"? "An employee may arrange <asexual possessive pronoun> desk however <asexual pronoun> likes." Wouldn't that be nicer? It should probably be something starting with 'H' (as in his or her). That's just one I've always felt would be handy as it is an utter pain to use "his or her" and just using "his", I feel, is not acceptable. Then again I thought that the spelling of "womyn" was going too far, so I don't know... What does everybody else feel? If it is as most people say and that it's meaningless, then shouldn't we be able to use "girls" in a mixed company setting as we (at least Americans) use "guys"?
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Advertisement
guys: Informal. Persons of either sex.
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
guys: Informal. Persons of either sex.

That's interesting. However institutionalized and acceptable are not necessarily the same thing. I'm not sure we can look at "what is" as an argument for "what should be", ya know?
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
In both Spanish, as well as English (in rare cases where gender versions of words are used) the masculine form of the word is used to describe groups of a mixed gender. I know that in America, we will often times even use "guys" when speaking to a group comprised of only women.

I don't know of any women that are offended by this, though, because I believe that most understand that we do it because we were raised to speak this way, and not because we intend to hurt their feelings. Intent is everything here.

Although there are some people who believe that our masculine words ("guys", "mailman", "mankind", etc.) are archaic and should not be used anymore. My attitude is "no harm, no foul." You can only really be insulted by these words if you want to be. It's likely that these words will eventually purge themselves from our language anyway as our society evolves.
Have you ever considered alcoholism? This is not something worth worrying about. At all.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Quote:Original post by Etnu
Have you ever considered alcoholism? This is not something worth worrying about. At all.

Hahahahahahaha. ROFL!
Most (if not all) women I know use the term 'guys' to informally address a group of mixed gender. I don't think they find it offensive. Of course, here in G'Dayland we're somewhat more easygoing and less prone to take offense. Maybe it's different in the States.
Do you think the increased use of "guys" in reference to men is a product of feminism? Its a less masculine term than men.

Sorry, I was just thinking about that the other day.
Quote:Original post by Rayno
Do you think the increased use of "guys" in reference to men is a product of feminism? Its a less masculine term than men.

Sorry, I was just thinking about that the other day.

Only if you drag out the "s."

"Hello, guyssssss!"
Everyone I know even uses "guys" to address groups of only women. (As in, "you guys are terrible, terrible people", something I said to a few girls this morning). Shockingly enough, nobody cares. [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement