Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

DirectX 8 WTF?

Started by Buster Nov 11, 2000 at 4:03 PM 9 replies 950+ views
Original Post
Buster
Buster
So I hear that Direct Graphics merges direct draw and direct3d and it''s supposed to have all this new cool stuff. I look at one of the sample programs and what''s the first thing I see? LPDIRECTDRAW7 m_pDD; LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 m_pddsFrontBuffer; LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 m_pddsBackBuffer; LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 m_pddsBackBufferLeft; // For stereo modes It turns out they didn''t change a thing! Save yourself the download.
zerwit
zerwit
Did you even bother to look at the documentation before you yell at microsoft?

*** Triality ***
*** Triality ***
MK42
MK42
All the examples I looked at so far used the new features. They also used the D3DX8 utility functions very heavily. Anyways, it''s good that the tutorials use vertex buffers to begin with. I''m glad I downloaded it

- MK42
Facehat
Facehat
Did you uninstall the old DirectX7 completly? Because what you''re probably seeing is the old DirectX7 examples instead of the new DirectX8 ones.

----------------------------------------
"Before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away and have their shoes." -- Deep Thoughts
Buster
Buster
Yes I read the docs you moron. And I''m very familiar with DirectX 7. The examples clearly use DirectX 7.
Etnu
Etnu
No examples that I see so far are using dx7. WTF are you talking about (specifically).

Thanks,
Etnu

Sometimes I think I know what I really don''t, but then again usually I do know what I don''t, but just don''t realize it, maybe its because I am so young, but then again it could be because I am insane.
---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.
Snyper
Snyper
All of my examples use DirectX 8. You are looking at the wrong ones or something.

-Snyper
=============================Where's the 'any' key?=============================
msn12b
msn12b
quote:
Original post by Buster
It turns out they didn''t change a thing! Save yourself the download.



Hmm... Doing a Find in Files from VC6, this only shows up under Samples\Multimedia\Common\Include\ddutils.h.

Now, considering that this is from the DX7 codebase, and that DDraw only exists in DX7, it''s reasonable to include this in DX8. Especially to demonstrate that the DX8 binaries are backwards compatible w/ DX7.

Now, doing a Find in Files on LPDIRECT3D8 on the DX SDK, I get:

quote:

Searching for ''LPDIRECT3D8''...
e:\dx8sdk\include\d3d8.h(187):typedef struct IDirect3D8 *LPDIRECT3D8, *PDIRECT3D8;
e:\dx8sdk\samples\Multimedia\Common\include\d3dapp.h(153): LPDIRECT3D8 m_pD3D; // The main D3D object
e:\dx8sdk\samples\Multimedia\Direct3D\DXTex\dxtex.h(67): LPDIRECT3D8 Pd3d(VOID) { return m_pd3d; }
e:\dx8sdk\samples\Multimedia\Direct3D\DXTex\dxtex.h(85): LPDIRECT3D8 m_pd3d;
e:\dx8sdk\samples\Multimedia\Direct3D\DXTex\dxtexview.cpp(284): LPDIRECT3D8 pd3d = PDxtexApp()->Pd3d();
e:\dx8sdk\samples\Multimedia\Direct3D\Tutorials\Tut01_CreateDevice\CreateDevice.cpp(18):LPDIRECT3D8 g_pD3D = NULL; // Used to create the D3DDevice
e:\dx8sdk\samples\Multimedia\Direct3D\Tutorials\Tut02_Vertices\Vertices.cpp(22):LPDIRECT3D8 g_pD3D = NULL; // Used to create the D3DDevice
e:\dx8sdk\samples\Multimedia\Direct3D\Tutorials\Tut03_Matrices\Matrices.cpp(35):LPDIRECT3D8 g_pD3D = NULL; // Used to create the D3DDevice
e:\dx8sdk\samples\Multimedia\Direct3D\Tutorials\Tut04_Lights\Lights.cpp(26):LPDIRECT3D8 g_pD3D = NULL; // Used to create the D3DDevice
e:\dx8sdk\samples\Multimedia\Direct3D\Tutorials\Tut05_Textures\Textures.cpp(36):LPDIRECT3D8 g_pD3D = NULL; // Used to create the D3DDevice
e:\dx8sdk\samples\Multimedia\Direct3D\Tutorials\Tut06_Meshes\Meshes.cpp(28):LPDIRECT3D8 g_pD3D = NULL; // Used to create the D3DDevice
11 occurrence(s) have been found.



QED.

Damn this is a pointless thread.

MSN

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.