Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

If you had money to blow, what would you get?

Started by jeffie7 Apr 9, 2005 at 6:58 PM 21 replies 4.8k views
Original Post
jeffie7
jeffie7
I'm thinking about adding some items to my collection and figured I'd ask everyone here, what would you like to buy if you had the cash to blow? Lets put a $5000 limit on the spending so a full Pro Tools studio wont be an option=) I already have a Motif-ES8, so Keyboards are not needed. However you can never have enough right? =)
grekster
grekster
This.

Damn didnt see the money limit, probably a Laptop, new guitar, a 19inch flat screen monitor, PS2 with Gran Turismo 4 and a TV for my room.
Quote: Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
jeffie7
jeffie7
I should have made this more clear.

If you had money to blow on music gear. =)

also, if you could supply links that would be great!

You don't have a PS2 yet? =( I feel bad for ya =(
btw if you get GT4 make sure you pick up the GT4 wheel with it =) Target had it on sale for a cheap $119!

DavW
DavW
4 AKG C1000s
Kit Mics
Some decent zyldjian cymbals
A better snare drum
Fender Strat
Behringer V-Amp Pro
Behringer DDX3216 digital mixer
ADAT PC audio interface (for direct connection to mixer)
Muse Research Receptor
A few keyboards and MIDI control surfaces
A 3GHz PC with 2GB of raw
250GB Hard drive
Reason, Sibelius and Cubase SX3
I think that all comes to less than $5K, if only I had $5K to spend.
hplus0603
hplus0603
1) Good speakers. Genelec 8040 or 8050 if you can afford them, else Mackie HR-824 or Genelec 8030.

2) Good PC sequencing software. Cubase SX, probably for me; your opinion may vary.

3) Good PC to run the software on. The fastest possible memory and CPU, which probably means an Athlon FX 55 system. 2 gigs of RAM would help, too.

4) Good native plug-ins. The Native Instruments Komplete kit is pretty rad, but you can probably get away with just Reaktor and Kontakt. If you make punk rock using analog gear, well, substitute your favorite real-world instruments :-)

5) Good instrument sample libraries. If you can't spring for the $800 Siedlaczek Advanced Orchestra, the $250 Garritan Complete Orchestra is pretty good, too (and comes with a playback-only version of Kontakt).

6) If you're doing real-world source recording, I'd go for good microphones, good pre-amps, and a good I/O system. Possibly also a high-quality analog compressor/limiter to put before the A/D. For sound input, I've always liked the sound of the Echo devices; your mileage may vary.

7) You'll be out of money at this point. However, I'd love to have a really solid mastering stage, like a 5-band spectral compressor/maximizer.


Of course, if I had $5,000 in my hand, I'd likely put it in a mutual fund for future needs, and get along with what I already have (which is about half of the above list :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
firewindshadow
firewindshadow
Grado Labs RS-1
Access Virus T1
surround sound monitor to go with the Genelecs
RME firewire-800
SCSI Raid hardrive
zircon_st
zircon_st
You people really love hardware! I'd go with..

* QLSO Symphonic Choirs
* Two new barebones computers with fast processors + high ram
* Garritan Orchestral Strings
* Ethno World II
* Studio Precision monitors
* GMedia impOSCar
* GMedia minimonsta
* Arturia CS-80V

For starters. That's under $5000 and would really help me.

DavW: that list is over $5000. The software you mentioned, Receptor, and the computer alone amount to at least $3500.
http://www.zirconstudios.com/ - original music for video games, film, and TV.
DavW
DavW
Receptor is hardware (basically a dedicated VST host), but I admit it was my 'luxury item'. I've no idea how much one costs. Without that I'd be very suprised if it went over $5K
Ronenriku
Ronenriku
Heheh... Me? Lets see...

An awesome electric guitar and and piano and Euphonium.
A New MIDI recording instrument set.
Ummm... Maybe a DJ table thing, so you can remix your own tracks.
dodecahedron
dodecahedron
I think that I'd buy a harmonium, a djimbe, a digeridoo, a tin whistle, some kind of shaker, and if i had any left over, an oboe or a set of bagpipes.
videodragon20032003
videodragon20032003
Well, if you REALLY want to... And you have the extra money...

You can always buy ME a cheap Oxygen-8 keyboard and Reason 3.0. ^^ It seems like you're already taken care of. (~$600?)

Oh, and a Strativarious (sp?) violin (~$2,000,000), of course.
jeffie7
jeffie7
So far I bought/upgraded

Sonar 4.0
SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
VSampler 3

My list of would like to get still.....

Another gb of 3200 DDR ram for a total of 2gb
and
symphony of voice.

And, maybe a mobo/CPU 3200+mhz setup for music and games woot!

That should keep me happy for a few months =)


firewindshadow
firewindshadow
Just got my Reason 3 yesterday.
I'm having so much fun playing and tweaking with the combinator features building mini-vst like rack instruments.

Now in the process of hunting down a cheap korg microkontrol to replace the oxygen 8 plastic toy.
jeffie7
jeffie7
Welp added to my list. I have ordered and on the way "I hope before the weekend"

Symphony of Voice
World Winds
a 7200rpm 8meg cache 200gb harddrive
and another 512 of 3200 DDR ram.

Im going to take my current 180gb hard drive and make that into a half back up and other half samples drive. then the 200gb drive will be my main drive with the OS.

I hope 100gb or so will be enough for a few sample CDs =)
Deceptacon
Deceptacon
1. Quantum Leap Colossus
2. Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra
3. As much RAM as my computer could handle.
4. A sitar, banjo, koto, shakuhachi and a shamisen.
Daerax
Daerax
$2000 to equip home lab
$1500 on books to expand my private library
$800 on Proper Laser Printer

$700 - waste on various fun stuff: Fully accessorized PDA, 4GB sd card, headphones etc.

$5000 is a very, very small amount of money, you cant really binge on it. I propose the limit be extended to at least $30,000.



I feel a bit out of place here...
protoolsaaron
protoolsaaron
First off Digi 002 and a mac. So that's about 3500 if you buy the rack and one of the lower G5's

second find as many ripped plug-ins that you can, inluding synths.

Reason 3.0 upgrade, or the actual one if you don't have a past version

Hmm that's roughly a G left, nice ass monitors, maybe Blue Sky or Mackie and bam that's it, hmmm or maybe a nice tube mic pre or Neumann TLM 103

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.