Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Photo contest!

Started by Crispy Apr 15, 2005 at 5:27 PM 23 replies 3k views
Original Post
Crispy
Crispy
Okay, I lied - this is not an actual contest, but this thread will indeed require you to take photographs and upload them and share them. Name and topic of the "contest": The Moon! (yes, the exclamation mark is intentional and part of the name). There are a couple of rules, though: 0) when posting your image, use the below "form" 1) you must be the author of the image 2) you must post some information on the image and equipment as well as settings used, more particularly:
  • camera model
  • exposure, f-stop, ISO and focal length (you can generally find all of this data in the advanced properties for the captured image - just right-click the image file in Explorer, click Properties and then Advanced)
  • if and to what extent you modified the image in post-processing
  • where you took the photo and at what time of day (also throw in the date)
3) if you post in this thread, please pick a favorite from the other posters' photos (my own entries, as the first ones in here, can be ignored) - this way we can hopefully find out who the symbolic winner could be. You can change your favorites at any time. You can edit your images in post, but your touch-ups should be limited to curving (color correction) and balancing only - let the image speak for itself! If possible, take a photo of the moon every day and post the series here (just edit your existing post - don't create a new one!). The time of day doesn't really matter, just make sure the Moon is visible in your images. I'd like to get a sort of a gallery going. If this thing is successful, I might start a different gallery thread for a different "natural event". For the time being, just share your art of the Moon!
NOTE 1: resize your images to a 4:3 aspect ratio and post thumbnails to them in 400x300 resolution (link structure below)! NOTE 2: when posting images, do post thumbnails to the actual images (so as not to post direct links to large image files). To do that, copy and fill in the following "form" (for each image):
  • Technical: camera model, exposure, f-stop, ISO, focal length
  • General: date, time of day, location

I will have to ask any mods available to help me out with conforming this thread to the above "rules" if anyone is dumb enough to not understand them.
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Crispy
Crispy
Okay, I'm posting the first entries - please try to follow my example when you post your's:




  • Technical: Sony DSC-F828, 1/60 sec, F2.8, ISO-200, 51 mm
  • General: 16.04.2005, 01:10, Tallinn (Estonia)








  • Technical: Sony DSC-F828, 1/25 sec, F2.8, ISO-200, 51 mm
  • General: 08.04.2005, 00:20, Tallinn (Estonia)



Note: I'm using a neutral T* filter by Sigma.
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
leiavoia
leiavoia
Crispy: your second image looks so much like one i took a year ago, i thought for a moment that you had ripped it off me and labeled it as your own :-)



and another one from the same shoot:



both taken with a Canon 300D, ~f5.6 @ 2-3 seconds, Canon 28-135 lens (not very sharp)

I curved both images to bring out the color, and the moon is pasted in from another shot. It's impossible to capture the clouds and moon in the same shot and still get a decent exposure on both (too much contrast). I did not change the size however. Shots where taken about 6:30pm in the middle of Winter, near Portland, Oregon.
H_o_p_s
H_o_p_s


  • Technical: Fuji Finepix S5100, Shutter Speed: 1/13, f8, ISO64, 10X optical, 'Sharpness: Hard'
  • General: April 15, 8:30pm EST, Boston MA
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
jollyjeffers
jollyjeffers
Quote:
Original post by leiavoia

That is an awesome shot [oh]

I used to live next to a graveyard - got loads of brilliant black and white images of similar things (with suitable filters to draw out high contrast/clouds etc..) Can't easily get them digital/online tho [sad]

Jack
<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ |
cowsarenotevil
cowsarenotevil
Quote:
Original post by leiavoia


Is that... real? The moon looks so separated from the surrounding clouds.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
H_o_p_s
H_o_p_s
Quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
Is that... real? The moon looks so separated from the surrounding clouds.
He said in his original post that it was two seperate images. One for the clouds and then another for the moon.
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
cowsarenotevil
cowsarenotevil
Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s
He said in his original post that it was two seperate images. One for the clouds and then another for the moon.


Ah, I see now. I was skimming and I assumed that that was his signature block. o_O
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
leiavoia
leiavoia
However, it's pretty close to the original. The original moon was a solid white circle (because of the exposure) of the same size, but everything else was as you see it. Now that i look at it again, it does look rather separate-looking. Some simple blending could fix that. But the clouds are pretty surreal, huh?
Crispy
Crispy
Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s


  • Technical: Fuji Finepix S5100, Shutter Speed: 1/13, f8, ISO64, 10X optical, 'Sharpness: Hard'
  • General: April 15, 8:30pm EST, Boston MA


Dang - your specs are better than mine (which means that your shot is a lot better than mine). Do you have this in a larger format or is this the original? I'd like a wallpaper like that (I have three already, but the fourth one kinda sucks - a lot).

I should use lower ISO as well... Did you take this off a tripod? I don't have a tripod myself and quite frankly it's ruining 90% of the pictures I take - I usually have to set the F-stop to maximum and shutter speed to as close to minimum as possible to minimize blur - that kinda sucks because it gets rid of any depth I might possibly be able to capture otherwise.
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
H_o_p_s
H_o_p_s
Even at 10X optical zoom 90% of the picture was still the black of space. The moon was in the center, very tiny. The picture was taken at 4mp so the picture that is posted above is actual size... no more zooming in without doing digital...

I don't own a tripod, but I found that laying down in my backyard with a recycling tub as a brace for the camera worked well. It still took about fifteen shots before I got one that I liked. But yeah, having something to place the camera on will make the picture less likely to be blurred.
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
H_o_p_s
H_o_p_s
Okay, I know that you didn't want us to repost, but if I don't it won't be put to the top of the forum list [grin]
  • The 15th:
  • The 16th:
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Crispy
Crispy
Well, we had nothing but clouds last night, so yeah...
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
wendigo23
wendigo23

  • Technical: an ungodly ancient Minolta strapped onto my 8" Celestron, 1/1000, f/10, Fuji 800 film, 2 meters
  • General: 18 December 2002, 10pm-ish, my backyard




    • Technical: an ungodly ancient Minolta strapped onto my 8" Celestron, 1/500, f/10, Fuji 1600 film, 2 meters
    • General: 11 December 2002, 10pm-ish, my backyard


    Favorite so far: leiavoia 2nd one. I also have some bad f/60 shots of Saturn and Jupiter. I was trying to get into astrophotography.
  • H_o_p_s
    H_o_p_s

    15th, 16th, 17th... The last one I played around more with the exposure times and internal settings...
    BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
    Crispy
    Crispy
    Wow - I really like the last one, Hops. Here's mine for today (yeah-yeah - I'm not heeding to my own rules and all... well, blah)



    I used ISO 64 on this one and the result is a lot better. I just envy your optics, Hops - that magnification goes a long way.

    Anyway - weather sucks here - yesterday there were only clouds and today there were no clouds. No clouds is no less boring than only clouds.

    edit: wendigo - that second one is a real looker!
    "Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
    H_o_p_s
    H_o_p_s
    Since it has been such nice weather here, I finally got my outside table set up. The cool thing about the table is that it is made out of metal mesh. I simply place my camera on there, get under the table and position the camera. Even better than using the recycling tub!

    It is sad considering that a small tripod costs like ten dollars... [grin]

    @wendigo23: Your pictures make me want to go and spend money on a nice telescope. It is too bad that I'm a starving college student...
    BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)

    Topic Locked

    This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

    Sign in to reply to this topic.