Out of system resources

Started by
13 comments, last by Rattrap 19 years ago
It shouldn't be an application leak since an app close doesn't fix it. It must be something that the app uses, like printer drivers and the like.

Do you have a USB <-> serial adaptor on the PC in question? I have come across one whose drivers leak resources/memory until it causes the problems you describe, and only a reboot fixes it.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Advertisement
We have a 2 networked color laser printers. 1 HP and 1 Xerox. Both suffer from the same problem. Even when you use print preview, the error occurs.

After emalig their tech support, it sounds like they have been able to reproduce the problem the problem using a polotter.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

Quote:Original post by iMalc
It shouldn't be an application leak since an app close doesn't fix it. It must be something that the app uses, like printer drivers and the like.

Do you have a USB <-> serial adaptor on the PC in question? I have come across one whose drivers leak resources/memory until it causes the problems you describe, and only a reboot fixes it.

There is more than one computer involved, as the OP noted explicitly here (emphasis added):

Quote:After a few days of being on, this server app starts to send "Not enough system resources" errors when workstations try to print.

as well as here:

Quote:The printing is being done on the workstations. The app (called Edulog) gets map data from various server apps. The one that has the problem is called ShapeServer. ... And it does it with every workstation which have a variety of different print brands attached to them.

It is perfectly possible that terminating the app does not properly unlock a shared resource of some type, which then causes the server app to cease functioning until the entire box is rebooted.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
Quote:Original post by iMalc

There is more than one computer involved, as the OP noted explicitly here (emphasis added):

Quote:After a few days of being on, this server app starts to send "Not enough system resources" errors when workstations try to print.

When I said, "the PC in question" I meant the server PC, as the way I understand it, the workstations merely connect to the server and the server has the memory leak, and thus reports the failue to the clients.
Quote:

It is perfectly possible that terminating the app does not properly unlock a shared resource of some type, which then causes the server app to cease functioning until the entire box is rebooted.
Yes and that would constitute a memory/resourse leak external to the program. The difference between that and what I described is that in your case the program he speaks of would be described as being at fault. It is just as likely to be a bug in something else, that this program cannot avoid.
2 out of 3 memory leaks I've tracked down, at my work, were bugs in Microsoft's or other manufacturer's, components.
My only argueement about an outside source other than something in their software is the fact that this bug reared its head after an upgrade of their software. Nothing else on the system had changed. And we never had these problems before the upgrade.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement