• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Xing Interactive

Games Distribution company in Indonesia starts!

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

"Xing distributes games in Indonesia" Dutch publisher and distributor of PC and video games Xing Interactive has recently opened an office in Indonesia with the purpose of publishing and distributing PC and video games in that country. Indonesia is an emerging Asian market and one of the most highly populated countries in the world. Piracy levels are high but sales per title can go up to 10.000 units in some cases. Xing's local sales force sells to supermarkets, bookstores, computer stores and department stores in every major city. Xing International Asia, Ltd. as the company is called in Indonesia is looking to expand even further by distributing 3rd PC games under license and possibly venturing into console games distribution such as PS2 and Xbox titles. "We're already the biggest publisher in a country that's predominantly non-English speaking in terms of trade, all due to our local sales force", says CEO Alex de Vries. Interested developers, publishers and distributors who want to do business in Indonesia can contact Alex de Vries on alex@xinginteractive.nl. More information on Xing International Asia, Ltd. can be found at www.xinginternational.com.

Advertisement
I would tread carefully and research Xing and de Vries before biting.
The fact that they are opening up a publishing house in a country with no protection for your products is a red flag in my book and more evidence of a dubious buisness practice:

-Here is an online discussion between SEVERAL developers and Mr. de Vries
http://www.indiegamer.com/archives/t-1963.html

-Here is a gamedev post:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=35709

Just a heads up.

The sentence "more evidence of a dubious business practice" is a bold and unfounded statement, moreover since you seem to quote links from the time I either just left Crystal Interactive or still had the misfortune of being employed by them. Talking to a brick wall is not my idea of a fun passtime but opening up such a discussion again seems just little short of doing so. I'm not saying you should not be sceptic or that I'm perfect and never make a mistake, however I am offended by your comments which are based on hearsay and lack any substantial evidence to prove that things are the way you represent them. Therefore reserve your judgement please until you know facts instead of vague anonymous forum posts which do not go into further detail then to yell "murder" every time Xing is mentioned. Been there, done that, and if I haven't proven to you yet that I was lied to by Riza Rahman at the time and simply relayed these promises I think there must be selective reading from your end.

By the way, Indonesia is a normal country where people like you and me eat, sleep, work and yes: also buy games. Piracy levels are high and there's not much you can do about it since copyright laws are not enforced effectively. Contrary to your statement Indonesia has copyright laws, just like any other civilised country. In Europe and orth America pirates earn millions with illegal PC and console games but I've never heard anyone here say we should not do business with an American company because of that. Again, reserve your comments for a time when you know something about this and do not judge based on vague assumptions.

Now last but not least: we do not put a gun to anyone's head and say "sell us your games". It's your choice to do business with us or not and to make up your own mind. However bashing us based on the simple fact that someone found it necessary to bash us before (seems to be fun to repeat it?) seems a bit pointless.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!