Rejected by a couple of COWS

Started by
11 comments, last by chris1962 23 years, 5 months ago
Hi all, I've just finished my first game Lost Enticer, and begun submitting it to several download sites like Download.com and TuCows. Within a day, TuCows sent me a polite letter thanking me for my submission, but said they had decided not to publish it. I was rather suprised, because I've checked out some of the similiar games on their site and thought that mine was at least comparable. Their letter dosen't state WHY they won't publish it. Has anyone had this happen to them? And if so why? You can check out Lost Enticer in the GameDev showcase, as well as at my site www.SunAndGames.com. Thanks, Chris Chris Campbell www.SunAndGames.com Home of Lost Enticer Edited by - chris1962 on 11/16/00 1:53:51 AM Edited by - chris1962 on 11/16/00 1:57:14 AM Edited by - chris1962 on 11/16/00 1:58:23 AM
Indie in training . . . www.GamesForSail.comMy life as a blogger . . . Blog Blog Blog . . . Blah Blah Blah
Advertisement
If you ask them, I''m sure they''ll provide you the review their decision was based on.

DavidRM
Samu Games
Actually, I did send them back a quick and short email asking them why, and they haven''t bothered to respond yet. Too busy I guess.

Chris Campbell
www.SunAndGames.com
Home of Lost Enticer
Indie in training . . . www.GamesForSail.comMy life as a blogger . . . Blog Blog Blog . . . Blah Blah Blah
You may want to submit it again. Sometimes things don''t upload correctly.

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
I submitted a demo to download.com and it was rejected cos the download links I provided were for a free web hosting service instead of direct download links, then I put the file in a place from which it had direct download links and I submitted it again, 3 MONTHES later I got an email saying that it was rejected cos the description (3 lines) was too short.
Also I never could make anything to be listed in Yahoo.
just shows how horrible yahoo is. please don''t support the site.
___________________________Freeware development:ruinedsoft.com
You got better than I did. I never heard from Tucows after I submitted my game. It''s been 3 weeks and nothing except for the automated email right after the download.

Same goes for download.com, shareware.com (are they the same place?) and ftp.cdrom.com. I uploaded the game and the damn thing is still sitting there in the uploads directory.

Oh well, screw the man. Guess I''ll continue to publicize for myself.
I know yahoo is crap but someone like Sean O'' Connor who made 6 games and sells them by himself gets like 400 hits a day just for being listed in yahoo and you can watch what people searched for, "game demos" for example and his site appears and people click.
About ftp.cdrom.com I think you probably tried that to get a direct link for download.com, I used winsite.com and the file was listed there in a few days, it''s not a direct link but when a file is added there is added too to about 10 ftp mirror sites, I found them using GetRight (getright.com) and after testing them about 6 worked well and those are direct download addresses that you can use for download.com or other places. You can always anyway pay for web hosting which always allows direct downloads.
I think it is important that you follow ALL the rules that they
post on their site when submitting a file. Every site has different
rules. Don''t cut corners or ignore any little detail. They could
possible get hundreds of demos every day, and all it takes is a little
mistake on your part to get disqualified. I say read the rules closely,
look over your submission closely, and resubmit again.
Oh, and another thing I just though of:

It''s possible that they didn''t even run or see your program.

They could have just reviewed your submission and found something
wrong with it. So if you are upset that they thought your
game sucked, then you could be mistaken.

It is much faster to review the text submission and look for
errors, as opposed to spending a lot of time uncompressing and
running your game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement