Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Game development methodologies?

Started by Lamely_Named May 4, 2005 at 1:59 PM 3 replies 11.4k views
Original Post
Lamely_Named
Lamely_Named
I've searched around, asked around and poked around for a list of game development models or methodologies for a few days, and I've found out that there isnt any unified, agreed upon methodologies in game development, unlike other software development (waterfall, iterative, etc). I know this is for a good reason, since games development changes all the time and you cant exactly "define" it using a framework. But, there must be at least some form of methodologies for game development right? I mean, there should be some form of SDLC (system development life cycle) for games? I've asked my computer science lecturer on this and he said the waterfall model cant be applied, so it must be something else then. **************** example of SDLC Phase I - System Initiation and Feasibility Study Phase II – Project Planning and Functional Analysis Phase III - System Design Phase IV – Programming Phase V - Testing and Implementation Phase VI - Post-Implementation Evaluation ******************** So my question here is, what are the most used game development methologies (simillar to waterfall, iterative, etc). If it's not too much trouble, can the game guru(s) that are kind enough to reply to this noob thread of mine to give me the methodologies names as well as their web links? :) Your help would be very much appreciated. and oh, this is what I found at gamedev, is it good? It doesnt exactly has a "diagram" and it doesnt goes too deep into the design, implements, testing stages. http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article273.asp
JohnBolton
JohnBolton
The methodologies used in making games are closest to iterative, prototype, and ad hoc. However, software development in the video game industry is far from mature, and though most games are developed using similar methodologies, there is no universal methodology, and certainly nothing that has been formalized to any significant level of detail.

Also, making a game involves much more than just software development. Art, game design, business and marketing, and other aspects heavily influence how a game is made.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Lamely_Named
Lamely_Named

I know there isnt a universal methodology and there are many aspects involves in making a game, but that is not what I've asked, no offense.

I'm just asking for a list of most commonly used development methodologies.

I know Extreme Game Development is one of them, but is there any other?

Plz provide me the links if it's not too much trouble.
Plasmadog
Plasmadog
What makes you think that the standard models don't apply to game development? What reasons did your lecturer give for the waterfall model not being relevant?
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
CodeTitan
CodeTitan
Quote:
Original post by Lamely_Named

I know there isnt a universal methodology and there are many aspects involves in making a game, but that is not what I've asked, no offense.

I'm just asking for a list of most commonly used development methodologies.

I know Extreme Game Development is one of them, but is there any other?

Plz provide me the links if it's not too much trouble.

I'm confused too - is Extreme Game Development the same as Extreme Programming?

I surmise that they are related, but how different are they?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.