15 Certificates in only 2 months

Started by
9 comments, last by GeorgeFrick 18 years, 11 months ago
I just heard someone I know is going to a school in georgia and it costs 19,000 to go but he will have 15 computer certificates in only 2 months. Today is his 4th day at the school , he just passed a+ as his first certificate. But I can't remember what school he said he was going to in georgia, does anyone know what school this is? Also what other schools are there that can teach high # of certs in a short amount of time and what do you guys think of those schools? and will having all those certifications get you a job?
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
Advertisement
That sounds more like an exam center, not a school. Either that, or your friend isn't going to remember a damn thing another 2 months after he gets the certificates.

I'd lean towards them being 'utterly useless'.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
My buddy went to a computer hardware college in Detroit (or around there). He would have gotten a pretty good standing out of it after only ONE year of school, but he backed out halfway through his first term due to the difficulty. Schools like that are very hard according to everyone who has looked into them, but you get what you put in to it right?
yeah its probably an exam center but are going to these worth it?

imagine having 15 certs on your resume...
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
thats about all certs are really worth these days anyways - padding for your resume. i don't have any certs, and i can say i know more than some people i know who have 'em.
True certs are only padding on your resume, but in many places your resume is all that gets you an interview. They offer some sort of proof that you know what you say you know.
If you can do it, it's not bragging...
I can't say I know too much from personal experience, but the research I've done all leads to generally the same place...

Certs aren't nearly as valuable then the knowledge you get from the courses. I thinkt he worst possible reason to take a course is for the cert, because the chances are the employer really isn't concerned. Padding for your resume is nice, but worthless unless you have the key elements an employer is looking for, and if you have these qualifications, then what is point of the cert.

clintonkerr: I can safely say that using your certs as proof of our talent/skill is a poor strategy. I think an employer will look at your portfolio for examples of your qualifications. I took a course in begginers C++ a while back and got a certificate for it, but it was such a poorly done course, I learned very little, and would be betraying my own esteem by including it as proof of qualification on a resume.

For all those seeking a position in the industry, this is what I have been able to conclude.

Get a degree. BA in Computer Sciences is the best option. Learn to program efficiently (in any method you see fit), put together a portfolio of sample work, and hope you land a position. You can count on your portfolio, but don't expect to be hired if all you have to show is 'padding for your resume'.

-IV

-IVHumble Student

Yes I would definitly agree that a college degree and an impressive portfolio is certainly much more powerful than any number of certifications you may aquire. And I'm not trying to imply that you should just get certs to pad your resume... But if you have no other evidence of your knowledge (ie. a portfolio or degree), then you'll be hard pressed to find someone who believes that you know what you're talking about.
If you can do it, it's not bragging...
Every so often I get sent on a 3 or 4 day training course somewhere, and come back with a certificate. I've never bothered to list any of them on my CV. I'm not even sure I know where they all are . . .
Quote:Original post by clintonkerr
True certs are only padding on your resume, but in many places your resume is all that gets you an interview. They offer some sort of proof that you know what you say you know.

Actually certs just show you can regurgitate information on exams. Whether or not you actually remember any of it (if your cramming for 15 certs in 2 months its highly unlikely that you will. It takes awhile to get information into long term memory) or can apply it in the real world is another matter entirely. An internship would probably be better.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement