Whats your suggest for API?

Started by
28 comments, last by K-Zodron 18 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I'm going to code my own game, and we people always need something to begin from :P So I'm wondering what API do you guys suggest? I know c++ kinda well and so, the game gonna be a MUD (Multi user dungeon). The server is closing it's end of developing, thos we need a client that the users could connect though. I've tried Allegro but it seems to have slight problems with sockets and so, for networking. So if anyone of you know a good API that isn't too hard, please post here :) Thanks in advance, K-Zodron
Advertisement
SDL for 2d graphics (and 3D setup for opengl later...) and SDL_net for networking work well.
If you're just starting out, use the console to make a nice text-based game. Although it's not really exciting, it'll teach you the basics of the language as well as some nice programming techniques that are required for graphic programming.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
If you're just starting out, use the console to make a nice text-based game. Although it's not really exciting, it'll teach you the basics of the language as well as some nice programming techniques that are required for graphic programming.

Not really usefull as I know c++ and I have already once made a text based client
:O

But now I'm again thinking about that allegro, anyone knows some tutorials for it? <.<

Quote:Original post by K-Zodron
But now I'm again thinking about that allegro, anyone knows some tutorials for it? <.<

Loomsoft's tutorials are one option. That and I reccomend you get Allegro CC, just easier to use for Windows. Good luck!
If you're making a MUD why are you even using Allegro? Unless you need lots of animated graphics all over the place you should be able to do everything you need with a normal Win32 GUI application, using C# (the .Net class library will provide everything you need for networking and GUI stuf) could be a good idea.
Allegro is the 1337est API ever if you're going to start out. If you're making a MUD though, it'll probably be completely text-based, so don't bother with any specific API. When you want to get into 2D though, just go Allegro. SDL is silly (but also a great API).

-IV

-IVHumble Student

Quote:Original post by TraderJack
SDL is silly (but also a great API).

Since there are probably quite a few SDL supporters, I would advise that you take the time to explain your reasoning behind this, in order to forestall any flamewars over SDL and Allegro (not that there are many; it's not like it's OpenGL and DirectX).

I like SDL better, because it's more consistent, and it looks more like a really simplified DirectDraw (or the graphics part does). Allegro was originally written for DOS, so that's one reason why I don't like it. I don't like it's coding style, either.
SDL is silly.
Any reason why? In my opinion, SDL is a better learning tool for beginners as its design is very staightforward and the documentation is more complete. I'm not saying it's a better API in general, just that it's a better learning tool. And yes, I've tried both graphics libraries out.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Allegro is the 1337est API ever if you're going to start out. If you're making a MUD though, it'll probably be completely text-based, so don't bother with any specific API. When you want to get into 2D though, just go Allegro. SDL is silly (but also a great API).

-IV

I don't know if hes joking or not... But I agree Allegro kicks ass. I think it all comes down to what level of object orientation you want. SDL is a much cleaner c++ interface(Can it even be usen in C?) Allegro has an almost completely function based layout. So I think it depends on your roots, C programmer like me will probably feel more at home with allegro whereas c++ programmer will probably prefer SDL. Atleast thats my take.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement