Game Design - Programming Problems

Started by
0 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
I have been developing a sports simulation game for two years now. I have come to the conclusion that I am excellent at writing algorithms and developing working formulas. I compiled all the base logic for the game in excel and can play the game there. However, I am not a good programmer and have not been able to translate my ideas into a format other people can enjoy. I can not even enjoy the spreadsheet version of my game due to too many events having to be triggered manually or through macro's. How and where would you suggest I find someone to take over both the programming and artistic aspects of the simulation.
Advertisement
Its usually impossible to find someone to just "take over" for you in a situation, however you may have meant finding someone to do the programming and artwork as you directed.

In this case I would suggest you try to find a programmer who has done a few very small games (Tetris-y type level of depth) and offer to work with him on creating a graphical version of your sports game. They can code your algorithms into the game and make a simple interface for it. For instance, making an overhead interface where you can watch all the action and manipulate whatever it is you do, but keeping graphics to a bare minimum (circles, squares, etc).

Once you get this version working you can start looking for an artist to either help you on getting it to the next level, as it should be obvious if the game is going go to be fun/worthwhile or not.

-Geoff

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement