Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Programming Motivation

Started by SumDude May 21, 2005 at 7:39 PM 13 replies 3.1k views
Original Post
SumDude
SumDude
I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I am having a problem on getting motivated to program. Sometimes the magic is there and i can become a programming fiend (i spent like 4 hours straight making a program that would stop windows from interrupting games as bad, and during that time i felt so energetic and willing to program that i couldn't sleep until i finished the program). The only thing i remember about what made me dive into programming so much was the adventure of figuring out how to actually make games not get interrupted by other programs. It was a lot of fun and adventurous (for me), but recently i've lost the magic and now i'm trying to delve more deeply into DirectX. So in short, are there any motivation techniques i can use to get back into the programming fiend phase again? Are there any way to get into the programming mindset so i can finally finish off learning more DirectX and finish my Tetris Clone.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                                                          
Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            
                                                          
I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are inte
Sadness
Sadness
A woman, in a latex or leather suit, with a whip, yelling at you and whipping if you don't finish the damn code... Nothing is more motivating (If you are into bdsm);)
-----------------------Happiness in slavery !-----------------------
mike25025
mike25025
This has some usefull links and info.
ProPuke
ProPuke
Lol seems we all have motivational problems *cough*
Actually I fear a lack of sleep may be one of the things adding to it

But the best way I've found is just to force yourself to do it
Something I've discovered again & again is that even if I don't *think* I'm in the mood, once I force myself to slow down & do it for fifthteen minutes I'm fully in the mood
So 2 pieces of advice:
o Just do it, despite any thoughts that you're not "in the mood". More often than not the mood actually follows the action of starting
o Don't get into the pattern of stuff you think you should be doing. If you're doing it for fun then make it fun. Ask yourself what you really want to do & do that. Look @ it in a positive light: "Today I really want to do this.."

Still trying to work alot of it out myself, & while I don't think it all has an answer - taking the steps to make the conscious decision is usually the most important factor. Along with reassessing & making sure you keep track with what you really want to be doing
____ _ ___ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
ricekrispyw
ricekrispyw
Many times if you either start a new part of your current project or learn something new altogether, it'll "bring the magic back".

So, if you really don't feel like working on your current project, pick a topic you find interesting, but have never actually researched, and dive into it. You'll either a) learn something new, b) get back in the mood and decide you really do want to be working on that project, or c) at least change the scenery, so to speak, so that the next time you sit down at the computer it doesn't feel so monotonous.

You could also always take a week off. It is, after all, a hobby.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
clockwise
clockwise
I've been looking for a way back in, I just quit one day and it doesn't feel right. I wanna write a tetris clone too, but in C#. Maybe I'll do breakout first. I think I agree with "Just doing it". In the end thats probably what'll happen to me. I'll start then wont be able to stop.
McCoy
McCoy
Well this is only somewhat related, but still may be of some use. I posted some links in that thread as well.

I have the same problem as do many I think (from what I have heard in the forum). Motivation comes and goes; some nights I want to cram a 2,000 page book into my brain and create my first respectable game and others I just sit at my PC playing them. Learning through osmosis would be great! But on the reality side (which I seldom follow) there was a quote by an unknown author: "If you want to do something you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse" (probably paraphrased as I have come across many variations of the same meaning). But never the less is worth serious thought.

Above all I feel you must ask yourself, "What do you want to accomplish out of life?" or "What do you want to do with your life?" and other such questions. Depending on your answers, it should give you an idea if this industry that you are interested in would be a life long pursuit or a side project (hobby). For me it is simply a hobby, as I have learned that my educational background (though a Mensan) does not put me in a very good place to be working for a leading company in the gaming industry. But I still hold onto that dream, although that is all it may ever be. I do not give up. Lately I seem to have been moving at a much slower progress (I've a lot 'o shit to deal with on the personal level at this time), but I have not and will not give up. Why? Because I find AI, physics, etc., for games extremely fascinating. I wish I could learn it all in a day (impossible), but yet I strive.

My summary: I am still a noob after a few years and I have the same problem, so you are not alone, you are not unique {Space Monkey!}. I do not know if this will stay with you or dissolve (but would also like to hear what other, more experienced persons have to say on the matter), as I would also like to know. But a fundamental belief that I have is that if one is passionate about something, they will follow through with it. Do not let the trivial concept of time interfere with your goals, whatever they may be.

Best wishes, and if you come up with a solution (or wonder drug) that helps alleviate this problem, please let me know.

Regards,

Bill
-0100110101100011010000110110111101111001
anist
anist
in a word: lay off the ganja.

... wait... that's three words ...
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
ProPuke
ProPuke
that's 4 words o0
____ _ ___ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
SKATIN_HARD
SKATIN_HARD
Set yourself in a good environment. Turn on some good music that you like and get coding. I think one of the biggest things that holds me back is my lack of documentation. I just start coding away with no design doc at all. Have you ever written a design doc? If you do, it might help keep you motivated.
Skoobydoo
Skoobydoo
Start off with something easy and fun to do that you can measure actual progress. Something like a graphic driver, you can start to import graphics and that is always fun to see.

I have found that this helps give you a boost of energy.

Doing game design is always fun too, and helps outline what you want to do for your game.

My biggest problem is that I am a perfectionist and always want to do things the right way, instead of getting it done. That has been a road block to me in the past.

Anyway good luck!
anist
anist
Quote:
Original post by ProPuke
that's 4 words o0


dude. the is not a real word. for real though, i find the buddah to really kill my motivation.

As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
Hakiko
Hakiko
For me it is making myself better. I love gaining new knowledge and skill sets. That was the motivation that got me through college everytime I failed an engineering test. I knew that I was doing this for me and I could only really let myself down by quitting.

Its the same motivation I use to force myself to turn of FFXI and dig out a C++ book. Ultimatly no one can be as disappointed in me as me.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.