this is killing me

Started by
9 comments, last by Jemburula 18 years, 11 months ago
this is gonna sound really stupid but is visual C++ and C++ the same programming language i really need to know and if they are different what would you recommend i learn for game development i'm already doing C++.
Advertisement
C++ is a programming language.

Visual C++ is an IDE/Compiler/Debugger Bundle for the C++ language by Microsoft.
Hi
If by Visual C++ you mean Visual Studio from microsoft, then you must know that C++ is a language, Visual Studio is a tool to write and compile C++ code.

but there are diferences between different compilers like Visual Studio and for example gcc, for example some pragmas witch are defined in Visual Studio don't exist on gcc.

Hope this will help you.
"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We WouldWhen Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It's A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die"THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR
are thank you very much guys is it a good compiler i am currently using dev-C++
and it seems to be pretty good and errors are pretty rare
Actually, it's an IDE not a compiler, but Visual Studio and DevC++ happen to both use different compilers as well.

DevC++ is a perfectly good IDE that a lot of people use. It uses the Mingw port of the GCC compiler, which is pretty reliable and shouldn't really give you problems. I've heard that it can be somewhat difficult to setup DevC++ to use DirectX, but I've never personally tried so I can't really tell you much about that; It is definately possible to do, I've just heard that it can be troublesome.

The Visual C++ IDE and compiler are also very good, and personally I prefer the IDE, but to be honest unless you have plenty of cash to spend on your setup I think it would be better for a beginner to invest in a good programming book or two and work with DevC++ for the time being; You can always change later if you want.

An IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is basically a set of tools to help you out when coding, and typically consists of a text editor with syntax highlighting (it changes the colour of keywords in your code), a debugger, and one or more comilers. You can actually use any compiler you like with any IDE, as long as you own a copy of each, but most IDEs will come with a compiler and unless you have some reason for changing it you should probably just use that.

A compiler turns your code into a form the computer can understand - under the windows operating system this means you get an executable (or dll) as a result.

Hope that answers your question. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Dev-C++ is great for beginners. Some of the compile errors are easier to understand. Dev-C++ also has features like the package manager that make it awesome to use.
so what is the very best compiler and IDE available?
I like Microsoft's Visual Studio. Dev-C++ will be fine for you though unless you really feel like spending the money.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I find dev c++ works really well.

one thing you will find though it that the gcc/mingw compiler treats things slightly differently from the c++ compiler in visual studio, so when using msvc code as an example you may find u need to change a few things here and there.

i.e #pramas and packed structures etc.

:)
will it be good enough for me to write a game creation program? or is that something entirely different

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement