C++ chat app

Started by
2 comments, last by plasmagamedev 18 years, 11 months ago
well i'm making this onine application that has a built in chat room, PM and IM system, along with forums and other stuff. Me and a friend are making this and i'm in charge of client programming while hes in charge of server side. We know that it can be done since he used his PHP skills for server side but he used VB for client side. It's just that now i want to use C++ for client side. I would like to know what i need to know to do this. Like what programs or libraries, and wer i can find some tutorials. This would be a great help thanks in advance.
Advertisement
It depends on what you want with your client. If you want a basic chat application that displays which users are online and their messages, C++ is NOT the way to go.

The reason is simple: You need to go through ALOT of pain just to get a simple chat client done. Languages like Visual Basic/C#/VB.NET are especially usefull for these can of applications. Their job is to provide a RAD environment to hide all the UI stuff. I could develop a reasonable client in C# in 2 days.

Also, in what language is the server written? PHP? If so, I would advise against it, mainly because PHP isn't made for this kind of jobs. C++ would be usefull for something like that.

<Shameless plug>
Depending on what OS the server is running and if you have access to the server yourself, I can provide a development kit which is geared towards telnet servers. The current project name is MUD-Kit and does what the name says. It's a pre-written server with support for telnet built-in. Currently it's for Windows only, but I can change that very quickly by upgrading the socket code. I recently wrote a simplistic chat-server in it: http://www.toolmaker.nl/junk/Main.gm

Today I added in XML support, and I need a few people to test the code base and improve it. If you got a Windows server and access to it, perhaps it's an idea to run this server. Saves you alot of trouble :)
</Shameless plug>

Toolmaker

I wrote a chat program in VB6 for a Computing Project. It was quite time consuming more than anything else, getting the PM's and the actual chat worked perfectly using my 1337 system.

But the userlist was a bit hit-and-miss, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, and I could never ever work out why.

HTH,

ukdeveloper.
As far as the chat only thing is concerned this won't be just chat, I didn't really wan't to delve to deep into the idea, but....After it's done it will be a file sharing app, that you can use to view any image file, listen to any music file, see and interact with any model file and animation file, also view movies, it will have a built in forum, IM and PM system and it's meant to make the lives of an online development team easier by uniting all the things that they use and keeping them updated keeping source code kept together. There is alot more ideas I have in store for the client so i need something both diverce and easy to use, but most of all it needs to be more diverce and powerful then easy to use. As for the PHP thing it's proven itself to work but it may not be powerful enough so in the long run werw gonna add p2p functions to it. If anyone can help with this it would be great.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement