Water ripples with sphere mapping

Started by
2 comments, last by Ulfie 18 years, 11 months ago
I've created a water ripple effect in OpenGL by using a grid of quads. I texture the quads with sphere mapping, as so: glTexGeni(GL_S, GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL_SPHERE_MAP); glTexGeni(GL_T, GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL_SPHERE_MAP); That way, I get pretty good results, as you can see: http://home.student.uu.se/uled8027/ripple.JPG However, all I get is flat shading. Is there a way to get smooth shading of the quads? Obviously, specifying vertex normals has no effect. Is there a way around this? How would this be done with a shader?
Advertisement
glShadeModel( GL_SMOOTH );

That makes shading smooth instead of flat, but that only applies to vertex colours, not to textures. The "smoothness" of textures is determined by the tex-environment for the currently bound texture unit.
If your ripple effect is a texture you want to set it to one of the "linear" tex-environment modes.
it looks to me like you're using the same normal for the entire quad. what you need to do, is to calculate the normal for each vertex. just add up the normals for all polygons that share a a given vertex and normalize.
Ah, I missed out on that, thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement