maya or 3DSmax?

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 10 months ago
i just read that post about 3dsmax being something like $4000 now that is crazy anyway, which is better? maya or 3dsmax? just consider the latest versions of both with just what i know i think maya is cooler
Advertisement
Softimage XSI.

(Hey, someone had to say it.)

AFAIK, 3ds max is more widely used in the game industry, while Maya tends to dominate the rest of the CG industry. But I've used Maya much more than I've used 3ds max, so I don't think I'm qualified to really compare them. (And for the record, I've only played with the demo of XSI... but I liked what I saw of it. And it's very competitively priced.)
"Sweet, peaceful eyelash spiders! Live in love by the ocean of my eyes!" - Jennifer Diane Reitz
maya/XSI has linux support, don't know if 3ds got that to.
im in the same situation, dunno which one to learn. i'm playing around with both Maya PLE and Gmax and atm i find Gmax more easier to use.

however, im leaning more towards Maya because i can afford it (i can get Maya complete for £175 and unlimited for £250).

so for me, its going to be Maya first and maybe after i get some money together i'll start on 3DS.

i think it would be better for you to get the free versions or Maya, Gmax and maybe even XSI and see which on you prefer.

other than that, i dont think anyone can tell you which is better because it depends mostly on personal preference.
Student version of 3DS Max: £100

I tried Maya PLE and 3DS Max 7 Trial and I found Max way easier to use. I was completely stuck with Maya.

BTW: Maya is [evil] and you have to have a Drive C for it to install.[headshake]
η β π
GMAX is nothing like 3dsmax, its a lot more simplified. If you get the real 3dsmax, your going to go crazy with all of them text and functions scattered around the interface.
Gmax IS 3dsmax 4!

A few functions were removed (like most exports), but the basic functionality of it is the same.

The difference between Gmax and 3dsMax would then be 4 to 7.
I've been using Max for several years now. I've tried Maya. I find that Max is really easy to use once you figure out it's whole system. I had trouble learning Maya, but I didn't really give it a chance. For the purposes of real time video game use, I think they are both roughly equivalent. I'm sure a lot of people are going to debate this point though.
yes i know gmax is 3dsmax, but i said, the whole layout was different. I personaly find 3dsmax filled with tons of pointless commands that clutter up the screen.
Quote:GMAX is nothing like 3dsmax

Quote:Gmax IS 3dsmax 4!

Quote:yes i know gmax is 3dsmax

Just so you know, this is how I heard the conversation. And yes, those "pointless commands" are to make models with. You can also customize the GUI, so I have no idea what quarrel you could have with it.

[/thread-hijack]

I find Max much simpler than Maya, especially in the interface. But I just recently started to tinker around in Maya, so I'll give you an update later on, if you still have questions.

[Edited by - videodragon20032003 on May 31, 2005 7:59:30 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement