Original Post
Well, there was that other post about herd/flocking AI, and I had this one, and yeah... irrelevant. Anyways, I just had some ideas to bounce off you guys about this preditor/prey program I'm thinking about getting serious about. This is largely a theory forum anyway, as is the field :) So, in this program, there are two types of creatures, a preditor, along the lines of a wolf, and prey, like a deer or something. I'm trying to think of a way to do the AI in an "individualistic" fashion, so that rather than having a big overarching AI doing the moves, each creature decides where to move on its own. I was thinking that each preditor and prey creature would have its own speed, providing for the whole "going after the weak" aspect. For the preditors, they would simply close on the nearest prey creature to them. This would eventually wind up being the slowest prey in the herd. For the prey, I think that they would end up prioritizing these things in an individual fashion: a) Moving closer to the other prey, for protection and distraction, as the preditors might go for a different animal than them, if you catch my drift. b) Avoiding the preditors, even at the cost of breaking away from the group I think this might end up providing fairly good-looking herd movement. Also, it could be kind of a simplistic genetic algorithm. Let me know what you think, especially if you can think of more variables that might affect either the preditor's or the prey's actions. Thanks.