Help: Anything for less eyestrain

Started by
16 comments, last by Kylotan 18 years, 11 months ago
Hi, My everyday life consists of working in the computer for at least 8 hours a day. Is there anything that I need to do so that my eyes don't get too much strain? I'm not asking for no eye strain at all since it's impossible. But is there any hardware that can be attach to the monitor or something? Any tips at all regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated. THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!!
Advertisement
Get a low radition/low glare monitor with a high contrast ratio. Also adjust the refresh rate to one you like.
LCD monitor is what you are looking for...
______________________________Madman
I use a Samsung 17" (Uber thin border) Digital LCD monitor, with 500-1 contrast ratio and 12ms response time.

I can stare at this thing for 12 hours a day, and get NO eye-strain. But perhaps thats just because I was introduced to the computer at an early age (Than again, I can't bare to look at CRT monitors anymore, not even the 85Hz ones)
Hi,
for me using a LCD instead of CRT monitor helped a lot, but still there's an eyestrain. When you're looking at the monitor your eyes don't close often enough to get moist. Therefoer the pain when you work with monitors/TVs for a longer time. You should try to blink or close your eyes every now and then, that should help them to recover their natural moisture.
But ultimate solution.. Well, i don't think that something like that exist..
Hope help a bit (I'm having similar problem, but this is the only that helps to me)
Y.
You were born an ORIGINAL don't die a COPY...ASCENT SYSTEMS
get lcd
different color depth produce different eyestrain. try switching between 32 bit color and 16 bit color
place a green plant near your monitor
human eye can usually detect interlace if the refresh rate is below 60 hertz. but our brain detect interlace if the refresh rate is below 75hertz. solution; try higher refresh rate, preferebly more than 75hertz. this apply for crt though as lcd doesnt have ACTUAL refresh rate.(AFAIK)
expensive 3d cards produce better color, easy on the eye.
get eye moisterizer
get glare/guard monitor glare filter. its used by nasa.
put the monitor approx 2 feet away near your eye
Hi again,

Thanks a bunch guys. Just to clarify, LCDs are those thin monitors right? I have an LG 17" monitor but this one is a CRT.

Quote:
When you're looking at the monitor your eyes don't close often enough to get moist. Therefoer the pain when you work with monitors/TVs for a longer time. You should try to blink or close your eyes every now and then, that should help them to recover their natural moisture.

Yeah that's very much my problem. My eyes are getting to dry even if I force to close my eyes. My eyes suck big time.

So if I'm going for an LCD, which would you advice? It should at least be 17". So any recommendations? I'll check out that Samsung LCD too.

THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCE!!
Are you nearsighted at all? Do you wear glasses at the computer?
Quote:Thanks a bunch guys. Just to clarify, LCDs are those thin monitors right?

Yes.

Quote:So if I'm going for an LCD, which would you advice? It should at least be 17". So any recommendations? I'll check out that Samsung LCD too.

Be sure to get a LCD that accepts digital (DVI) input, and a video card that has dvi output. That removes any fuzziness that might be caused by the conversion to and from the analog signal. The quality or 'advancedness' of the card is not important for picture clarity, since the analog converter is the only part where quality would matter. Newer (and more expensive) cards do give better 3D performance and features, though.

I did extensive research and review-reading about 6 months ago when I was choosing a LCD for myself, and my conclusion was that the high-end Samsung monitors are the best, but if your budget is limited, LG is a better option (than cheap ones from Samsung for example).

There are two main types of LCD monitors, with PVA and TN type matrixes. PVA offers higher color depth and contrast, but the pixel change times are a lot slower than for the TN, so the latter is more suited for gamers.
Just to chime in, I've got a Samsung 17" and have had no eyestrain since I got it. I had a CRT before and had eyestrain and slight headaches.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement