Help: Anything for less eyestrain

Started by
16 comments, last by Kylotan 18 years, 11 months ago
I've used both. I went back to my CRT. LCD's have nice black's and better contrast. But they wont help your eyes. Maybe just TAKE A BREAK ONCE IN AWHILE!
Having strain on your eyes often can cause severe headaches that occur even when your away from your pc. You should always make sure to take a 5 minute break after an hour or two of staring at ANY MONITOR.
Advertisement
As a temporary solution, see if you can turn up the refresh rate in your current CRT monitor. Anything less than 75hz drives me nuts.
Quote:Original post by pinacolada
As a temporary solution, see if you can turn up the refresh rate in your current CRT monitor. Anything less than 75hz drives me nuts.

Yeah, no kidding. I yell at people when I see them using 60Hz. For some reason, some people don't even notice the difference.
My two cents, ramp up the refresh rate for one. I was reading my A+ book and it said anything over 75 Hz should help prevent eyestrain, also make sure that the top of the monitor sits just below the top of your field of vision. It was also saying something about getting computer glasses. Something about how the monitor makes your eyes focus. It sits in your immidiate field of vision which is something that's not used a whole lot. You should also take breaks every hour to an hour and a half. I think that right there is probably the best thing you can do. Hope that helps

-Brandon
Hi again,

Quote:
Are you nearsighted at all? Do you wear glasses at the computer?

No.

As for the refresh rate, my monitor has 85hz. If I configure it more than that, disaster strikes. I take a break only after an hour and a half or so. It actually depends if I'm hooked or not. Sometimes, I never realize that three hours have already passed.

@geek89turbo:

You mention something about computer glasses. Can you point me to a site where there is a bit of discussion on this. It really sounds to be a better alternative since I saw the prices of LCD's and they are like 4-5 times the price of CRT's. But if the glasses are pretty affordable and does the job, I guess I'll go at it then.

THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCE!!

Quote:
There is no fear of damage to health due to radiation or to the eyesight due to lack of display quality when using LCD monitors. In contrast to CRT devices, which emit X-rays when the electrons impinge on the fluorescent coating, LCD monitors only emit the harmless visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that is required to display the image. Possible affects on health due to electrical or magnetic fields such as headaches, dizziness, insomnia, sore eyes, stress, breathing problems, heart problems and lapses of concentration have only been proved at CRT workstations but not at LCD workstations.

from http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/coremedia/generator/index,realm=Knowledge__BGArticle__Details,spec=x__be__fr,docId=56396

How much are your eyes worth to you?
Quote:You mention something about computer glasses. Can you point me to a site where there is a bit of discussion on this. It really sounds to be a better alternative since I saw the prices of LCD's and they are like 4-5 times the price of CRT's. But if the glasses are pretty affordable and does the job, I guess I'll go at it then.

Cheap reading glasses should work. Alternatively you could get a more accurate prescription.

Google Search for 'computer glasses'
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
Did anyone mention that you should try and make sure the monitor isn't significantly brighter than the rest of the room? What you don't want is a bright square in the middle of a dull field of vision as your eye has trouble balancing the light levels.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement