FPS/optimizing thoughts

Started by
19 comments, last by TinyGameDev 18 years, 10 months ago
ok, i know there are a lot of threads on this topic but i have some other questions and I couldn't come up with a better title for the thread. Anyway, i'm trying to do a top-down shoot 'em up but I have some problems with the graphics. well, maybe not problems, but I don't really know why stuff happens. First...how come I always get exaclty 86 FPS, no matter what I do, when I have v-sync on? When I set it to off, i get around 224 FPS. Another thing that's bothered me...when my friends tested the game on this lap-top, he got a little above 100 FPS, but it still laged and the graphics looked choppy. What could that be caused by? Thanx a lot for any help or ideas

Making Terralysia, wishlist now on Steam <3!

Advertisement
Vsync only lets the card draw a frame every time the screen refreshes. This can get rid of tearing and some other graphics badness. If you look, your monitor probably refreshes at 85hz and you friend's at 100hz. I'm not sure why the graphics would be choppy... if you could describe it better that would be helpful.
ok..thanx for the v-sync info..didn't knew that =)

well, i'm describing it as he did...i only sent him the demo of the game and eh told me the graphic was choppy..like the frame rate was really low..buts til showed above 100 FPS... =/

i could give you the demo too, if you have time and wat to try it. needs java 1.5 though.

by the way, about v-sync...is it better to leave it on or off?

thanx

Methinks that the laptop display is different than a CRT monitor, so even if the application says it's chugging 100fps, the display cannot refresh that fast. I've seen this in other games.
Ciro Durán :: My site :: gamedev.net :: AGS Forums
sounds reasonable, since it's only his computer that shows the graphics choppy...but how come he can play doom 3 and games like that, without having any problems with the graphics?

This is my first time trying to do something with OpenGL and I know the code is far from optimized...but I got a little scared when I only have a ship and some objects flying around and it already started to get choppy

Are you sure your graphics are choppy ? or are you confused with your physics being choppy ?
well, like i wrote before..that's what my friend told me. On my computer, the game runs very smoothly, both graphics and physics =/

Is your friend a graphics programmer?

In my experience 'choppy' can mean absolutely anything from a user...

I'd guess it's just tearing because vsync is off, but don't try to fix it unless you've seen it yourself.
[size="1"]
Hi,

Have you considered it could be a latency issue... ie the graphics card is buffering up a lot of frames(more than it should) hence the input responds slower than it should.

You should perhaps check the drivers are the most recent possible(most new drivers for mainstream graphics cards dont buffer too many frames).

Failing that add an option to force the graphics card to syncronize, eg locking the back buffer, or to get a little more sophisticated, ping ponging between a pair of textures rendering one and locking the other in turn(so that no more than 1 frame is buffered, depending how smart the drivers are).

Another issue could be that your timing code isnt working properly, eg the laptop is using speedstep(changing CPU clock rate, to conserve power).

David
Here's the demo, if someone would have the time and wanted to take a look, I'd really appreciate it.

Maybe you guys can see if it's the code which destroys everything or if it's the graphics card...

http://www.itstud.chalmers.se/~flavius/klient6.rar

EDIT: I know it's the code...but maybe you could be gentle :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement