Which degree? A question to those who know

Started by
4 comments, last by Spoonbender 18 years, 10 months ago
Which of these two university degrees do you think would be better, both in short and long term, for someone looking to becoma a game/enginine programmer or designer: ------------------------------------------------------- Gaming degree in the University of Skövde, Sweden Year 1 (2005-2006) Game analysis (5p, A-level) Programming methodology (5p, A-level) Mathematics I1 (5p, A-level) Computer graphics 1 (5p, A-level) Computer graphics – implementation and algorithms (5p, C-level) Project in game programming (5p, A-level) Mathematics I2 (5p, A-level) Low level programming (5p, A-level) Year 2 (2006-2007) Operating system concepts (5p, B-level) Discrete mathematics (5p, A-level) Algorithms and data structures (5p, A-level) Human-computer interaction – Applications (5p, B-level) Software engineering – game development (5p, B-level) Distributed network design (5p, C-level) Project in game development – programming (10p, B-level) Year 3 (2007-2008) AI – symbol systems (5p, B-level) Choice – 10 credits Game physics (5p, C-level) Final Project 20 credits, C-level -------------------------------------------------------------- Traditional Degree in the University of Akureyri Iceland Curriculum 2005 Faculty of Information Technology Overview Computer Sciences - 90 credits - 180 ECTS credits 1. year fall 2005 Course id Course name ENS0183 English I - English skills FOR0183 Programming I - The basics of programming Course HCI0183 Human-computer interaction STÆ0183 Maths I - Discrete mathematics WWW0183 Internet and the World Wide Web 1. year spring 2006 Course id Course name CAR0183 Computer architecture ENS0283 English II - English for Computer Science FOR0283 Programming II - The objects of programming STÆ0283 Maths II - Mathematical logic STÆ0383 Continuous mathematics 2. year fall 2006 Course id Course name GGR0183 Database systems HBA0183 Object-oriented methods HCI0283 Data Visualisation HVN0183 Group project I VML0183 Machines and their languages 2. year spring 2007 Course id Course name ALG0183 Algorithms and data structures CMP0183 Principles of compiler construction HVN0283 Group project II NET0183 Networks and communications OPS0183 Operating systems 3. year fall 2007 Course id Course name COM0183 Numerical mathematics and computing LOK0183 Final year project I PAT0183 Pattern Learning I: Pattern Recognition STA0183 Statistical data processing SWA0183 Sofware agents 3. year spring 2008 Course id Course name COM0283 Concurrent computation DTM0183 Data mining FUN0183 Functional programming LOK0283 Final year project II PAT0283 Pattern Learing II: Machine Learning ---------------------------------------------------------- Hope you bothered to read it! :)
Advertisement
Personally I would go with the traditional CS degree as it doesn't force you into a certain career path yet. In my opinion you will not completely know what you want to do as a career until after college and by choosing the game development degree you are forcing yourself down a narrow path. The CS degree could still get you a game programming job but also leaves other doors open.

HTH

kezz
-------------------------0 A.D.
Yep I absolutely agree with Kezz. I work part time at a game company and I'm in the process of getting a traditional CS degree because it leaves my options open.
I agree too. You always need to keep your options open. As long as it has a good math grounding, you should be fine.

Mr. Creamy.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Getting my CS first, then I might go to the University of Advancing Technology to get a degree in game design.
I'd go with the one on Iceland, because Iceland is cooler than Sweden. :D

Other than that, I tend to agree. CS is much more general, which might leave you with more options. Of course, it's also too general for some people. Some feel they're wasting their time studying CS, because it's not about programming or anything as narrow as that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement