Murder Mystery Games!

Started by
5 comments, last by Estok 18 years, 10 months ago
Who here thinks a good murder mystery game might be successfull? Perhaps, call it... "Murder At Midnight" based on the old radio prodcasting show. Or any other ideas you can think of?
Advertisement

I think it will be successful. But you need to define a little better what the game entails. As a multiplayer game, you will be providing the environment for the players to play the game, like in the 'Murder at the panda mansion' Mod in WC3. You can also substantiate Clue to get the same effect. For clarification, a murder mystery game does not imply a graphical adventure game, because 'murder mystery' is just the theme/backstory, it is compatible to any genre of gameplay.

On the other hand, a good graphical adventure can be a lot more enjoyable than repetitive 'gaming'.

Quote:Or any other ideas you can think of?

Many of the designs I mentioned in this forum belong to murder mystery. Dreambell: Your master/lover/general is [murdered] and you are to find out the betrayer. X-Zero: Your crew is being [murdered] by an unknown species onboard the spaceship. Cryo: You were [murdered] in the past, but now revived. You are to find out why you were murdered and why you are revived now. Cardinal Prime: Your partner/lover has been [murdered] and you are to discover the truth.
In the vein of murder mysteries: Check out Bad Day on the Midway. It's an old game, but immensely worth checking out; one of the most unique and artistic games ever to come down the pike.
Well, I had and idea for a murder mystery game story but the game I would make wouldn't be called "Murder At Midnight" since that would be based off the actual radio broadcasts so it would be a spin-off of the old radio show.

My idea for a Murder Mystery Game is one where you are a Corporate Business Owner who has built a large commercial empire. Everything is going well and you are about to become one of the largest Multinational Companies in the US however, your partner is unexpectadly murdered. You don't remember what you did the night of the murder but only that you went to work as usual the next day. Evidence is planted that links you to the crime and you know that someone is plotting to destroy all that you have earned. You decide to discover who it is that wants you out of the way. To solve the mystery as to who is behind this atrocity you have to leave you placid business life and walk in the colorful paths of criminals and villians who might also be those attempting to bring you down. You can trust noone not even your own Associates who are starting to distrust you. Your reputation is being damaged the longer it takes you to uncover and expose who have changed your life. Will you be able to bring your life back and keep your empire or will this tragedy get the better of you? Can you solve the mystery will what little you know?

Thanks for the links Estok, I really liked DreamBell, but the story should have a different title, 'dreambell' isn't really the catchiest one for that genre. I liked the off shoots from our Collaborative Writing Project, I think that any game using the ideas that we laid out in that Project would be interesting. As for 'Cardinal Prime' well I think that if you have a good enough game design it could be a big hit.

I must say though 'Bad Day on the Midway' sounds like an intriguing game. I like how the description makes it seem incredibly abstract. I wouldn't mind taking a look at what the gameplay is like.
I think it's a reallg good idea but not without it's flaws. Firstly just how interactive with it be? If you're simply looking around crim scenes in a point and click style that could be very dull. It may also be hard to give the player enough rewards for playing as the crim wont be solved until the end of the game. I think the biggest problem is that it has no replay value, which for me, is the biggest problem. You could over come this by having multiple routs. I think you should check out Blade runner and Shenmue, whihc are probably the best mystery games around, although shenmue is a lot more than just a mystery game. But I think shenmue is a good example of how to reward the player. As you're constantly getting new leeds to follow up whihc lead you to new areas to explore new people to meet. Maybe if you could release a new mystery game every three months for around £10 to download this would help. There are a lot of ways ytou could attack this.
<a href="http://www.gurumatt.com> Online Portfolio
Pretty good examples! I haven't played either of them but I will definitely look into them. Shenmue does look like more than a Murder Mystery and more of an RPG/Adventure hybrid game. Blade Runner is kind of different than the type of game I was envisioning. And as far as replay ability and interactablility if the mystery is enticing enough the rewards will keep the player quiet interested. For example, Myst or Riven those types of games had a big fan base because believe it or not there are people who enjoy the story and finding out the little idiocincracies of a mystery type of game. So its not without its marketability. And especially with the FPS and Adventure saturated market today. Although I'm no business market expert so you'd have to do some research.
Dreambell does have a disappointing title in English. In its original language it literally meant 'the bell that let dreams(ambition/vision/plan) soar'. It was the name of the girl given by her master. Altogether, it is a clue that the death and the situation are premeditated, and every move the girl makes, is a move that approaches the dream. It was meant to be creepy halfway through when the girl realize that the situation is too well-planned and mentally collapse when she realize that no matter what she does, she cannot escape her master's prediction and control. It is interesting to see how the girl goes nutz due to the situation.

Since your design seems to be a single player design, I am not going to talk about issues related to multiplayer design. I don't have much concern about replayability. If you want to increase the replayability, you can introduce randomization, you can add contents, you can distribute the content across several game runs, and by some other methods.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement