Please help debug simple DirectX app

Started by
14 comments, last by flashinpan 18 years, 10 months ago
I have the book "Managed Direct X 9 Graphics and Game Programming" Kick Start by Tom Miller. I am trying to run the sample code for Chapter 1 which does nothing more than initialize the graphics device (does no drawing yet). I get a runtime error when I try to run the application. 'DefaultDomain': Loaded 'c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\mscorlib.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\Syndi\Desktop\DXChpOne\bin\Debug\DXChpOne.exe', Symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.windows.forms\1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.windows.forms.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system\1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.drawing\1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.drawing.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\microsoft.directx.direct3d\1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35\microsoft.directx.direct3d.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.drawing\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.drawing.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\accessibility\1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\accessibility.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.windows.forms\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.windows.forms.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\microsoft.directx\1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35\microsoft.directx.dll', No symbols loaded. An unhandled exception of type 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.InvalidCallException' occurred in microsoft.directx.direct3d.dll Additional information: Error in the application. Unhandled Exception: Error in the application. -2005530516 (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device..ctor(Int32 adapter, DeviceType deviceType, Control renderWindow, CreateFlags behaviorFlags, PresentParameters[] presentationParameters) at DXChpOne.Form1.InitializeGraphics() in c:\documents and settings\syndi\desktop\dxchpone\form1.cs:line 35 at DXChpOne.Form1.Main() in c:\documents and settings\syndi\desktop\dxchpone\form1.cs:line 94The program '[564] DXChpOne.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0). Here is line 35: //Create our device device = new Device(0, DeviceType.Hardware, this, CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing, presentParams); Here is the code:

using System;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Collections;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.Data;
using Microsoft.DirectX;
using Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D;

namespace DXChpOne
{
	/// <summary>
	/// Summary description for Form1.
	/// </summary>
	public class Form1 : System.Windows.Forms.Form
	{
		/// <summary>
		/// Required designer variable.
		/// </summary>
		private System.ComponentModel.Container components = null;

private Device device = null;

//page 9 and 10,  DX Kick Start
		public void InitializeGraphics()
		{
			//Set our presentation parameters
			PresentParameters presentParams = new PresentParameters();

presentParams.Windowed = true;
			presentParams.SwapEffect = SwapEffect.Discard;

//Create our device
			device = new Device(0, DeviceType.Hardware, this, CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing, presentParams);
		}
		public Form1()
		{
			//
			// Required for Windows Form Designer support
			//
			InitializeComponent();

//
			// TODO: Add any constructor code after InitializeComponent call
			//
		}

/// <summary>
		/// Clean up any resources being used.
		/// </summary>
		protected override void Dispose( bool disposing )
		{
			if( disposing )
			{
				if (components != null) 
				{
					components.Dispose();
				}
			}
			base.Dispose( disposing );
		}

#region Windows Form Designer generated code
		/// <summary>
		/// Required method for Designer support - do not modify
		/// the contents of this method with the code editor.
		/// </summary>
		private void InitializeComponent()
		{
			// 
			// Form1
			// 
			this.AutoScaleBaseSize = new System.Drawing.Size(5, 13);
			this.ClientSize = new System.Drawing.Size(292, 266);
			this.Name = "Form1";
			this.Text = "Form1";
			this.Load += new System.EventHandler(this.Form1_Load);

}
		#endregion

/// <summary>
		/// The main entry point for the application.
		/// </summary>
		[STAThread]
		static void Main() 
		{
			//page 11 DX Kick Start
			using (Form1 frm = new Form1())
			{
				//Show our form and initialize our graphics engine
				frm.Show();
				frm.InitializeGraphics();
				Application.Run(new Form1());
			}

}

private void Form1_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
		{

}
	}
}

Advertisement
Is there some place online I can lookup these kinds of errors, by the way? :

-2005530516 (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)

To get more information on what this means?
By the way, I am using the Managed DirectX 9 April 2005 update.
I'm guessing it's failing because you didn't pass what format you want to use to PresentParameters so try adding this line

presentParams.BackBufferFormat = Format.Unknown;

And to look up what the errors mean you can always take a look at msdn

EDIT: gah! typo
Quote:Original post by setaglib
I'm guessing it's failing because you didn't pass what format you want to use to PresentParameters so try adding this line

presentParams.Format = BackBufferFormat = Format.Unknown;

And to look up what the errors mean you can always take a look at msdn

One thing that helped (I tried this before realizing you had posted) was to compile in RELEASE mode vs DEBUG. This cleaned-up the problem.

Duh, I should have remembered that DirectX is quirky in DEBUG mode.
Quote:Original post by Tom Knowlton
One thing that helped (I tried this before realizing you had posted) was to compile in RELEASE mode vs DEBUG. This cleaned-up the problem.

Duh, I should have remembered that DirectX is quirky in DEBUG mode.

Cool didn't know that it would work without that line.

Anyway, I never had problems in debug mode maybe because I have an older version? [smile]

The debug mode is trying to warn you that you have done something that is considered unsafe/unwise. It may work in relase mode on your machine, and not work on another. It is always best to eliminate those debug warnings/errors so you know you won't run into problems later.
Quote:Original post by Dave Hunt
The debug mode is trying to warn you that you have done something that is considered unsafe/unwise. It may work in relase mode on your machine, and not work on another. It is always best to eliminate those debug warnings/errors so you know you won't run into problems later.

The problem is back. Now, even Release MODE is not making a difference.

The Format line of code would not compile, btw.

What do I do now?
Why doesn't that line compile what error does it give you?

Did you notice I edited the post? Because I had a little copy/paste trouble there earlier [embarrass]
Quote:Original post by setaglib
Why doesn't that line compile what error does it give you?

Did you notice I edited the post? Because I had a little copy/paste trouble there earlier [embarrass]

Ahhhh...yes...I see that you changed the line.

Let me give that a try.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement