A wanna be J2ME programmer

Started by
4 comments, last by Ilankt 18 years, 10 months ago
I started to learn Java a 2 months ago (I knew C++, so moving to Java was not that hard) and the reason I started to learn Java is that I want to be able to make games for cellphones. I just got myself a NOKIA 5140, and I'm wondering: What IDE do you recommend for developing J2ME? What simulators do you recommend for the nokia series? (I'm not sure what those series mean, and in which my cellphone classify) Where can I find examples, and resources for J2ME, MIDP 2 etc? Anything that will help me getting started will be great. Thanks. BTW, sorry for misspeling and bad use of language, English is not my native language.
How appropriate, you fight like a cow!
Advertisement
IDE: Personally, my favorite is the SunONE Mobile Edition. Also check out Eclipse. You don't really need an IDE, though; you can just use notepad and compile with the WTK.

The 5140 is a series-40. The Nokia 3300 SDK and emulator will work fine for you, although some of the audio stuff may be slightly different.

forum.nokia.com is a great place for Nokia J2ME development.

EDIT: </stupid>. Why did I write series-60? I know what a 5140 is.

[Edited by - Sneftel on June 10, 2005 5:10:03 PM]
I'm also going to back him up with Eclipse.

(On a side note: Sneftel, awesome avatar...being a math major, it gets me right in the heart.)
Sup guys?
Eclipse is the business!

Actually EclipseME (Mobile Edition) is even better.

i think www.eclipseme.org is the link

get the series 40 emu. 7210 emu is very good as it is the worst speced series 40 nokia phone and if it runs on that it means you are pretty safe with the rest of them. There is also a Seire40 V2 emu there.

www.forum.nokia.com for everything.
Eclipse is the business!

Actually EclipseME (Mobile Edition) is even better.

i think www.eclipseme.org is the link

get the series 40 emu. 7210 emu is very good as it is the worst speced series 40 nokia phone and if it runs on that it means you are pretty safe with the rest of them. There is also a Seire40 V2 emu there.

www.forum.nokia.com for everything.
ok I downloaded EclipseME but I'm not sure what SDK to download, I downloaded Nokia 7210 SDK, but I'm not sure if it support MIDP 2 or not (Nokia 5140 does)
Thanks.
How appropriate, you fight like a cow!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement