why not hide the numbers?

Started by
342 comments, last by Ranger Meldon 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Madster
Quote:from Nathan Baum:
Since it's a game, the enjoyment of the people playing it is the only acceptable reason for making a decision about any feature.

And obviously the only real reason for hiding numbers is that some people don't like them.
Since enjoyment is the reason for deciding about features, and some people don't like numbers in there, it can be deduced that it they don't like it, it detracts from their enjoyment, therefore making it a reason to decide removing them.

You're missing the point. You said that the only real reason for not hiding numbers is that some people like them. My point is that the only real reason for hiding numbers is that some people don't like them.

If nobody liked numbers, then it would be reason to conclude that numbers should be removed from CRPGs. If you're making an RPG which is specifically targetted at people who don't like numbers, then it's obviously okay to hide numbers.

On the other hand, if you're making an RPG which you want to appeal to the widest possible audience, some of them will like numbers and some of them will not. Some of the people who do not like numbers may well come to find that they need numbers later on.

The logical approach is to offer a configurable interface where players can choose whether to see numbers or not.
Quote:
Color is not well suited for this task, in an international context. The usual conception of the emotional effect that colors have just doesn't apply to all people.
So i guess semaphores are a really bad idea.

Semaphores don't even communicate information by color. Even if they did, that wouldn't support your argument: if I'm standing with my arms wide open and a semaphore flag in each hand, do you intuitively know what letter I'm signalling? Not unless you've already learnt the semaphore alphabet. Similarly, somebody for whom 'red' usually represents positive concepts would have to learn that you were using it to represent negative concepts (such as being low in health).
Quote:
Colors have a single dimension (despite what the RGB model may lead you to believe. Check the "out of gamut" expression, and photon vibration frequencies)

Let's suppose that's true. Supposing rgb(0,0,0) is at 0 and rgb(255,255,255) is at 1 in this dimension, where is rgb(120,117,32) and rgb(34, 89, 203)?

Color hue is one-dimension, but that's only one aspect of color: the light's wavelength. The amplitude is also significant: would you typically describe the sun as 'light brown'?
Quote:
Plus as you stated yourself, there are problems with the sign.

The sign? You mean there are problems with the meaning of the colors? There are more problems than just that. Approximately 10% of people are color-blind, and most of them can't tell the difference between red and green.
Quote:
You've hit the nail exactly on the head, here. It's a design thing. In some games, character progression leads to superhuman powers. In some other games, it doesn't. All you need to do is not play the former games, if you don't like them.
Again you're thinking in global terms. Tell me, if you climb 3 meters each day, measuring it with a 3-meter string: how high will you reach after 5 years? is it way out of the range of your measuring string?
it's about the same gameplay with a different representation, NOT about changing the gameplay (at least, not overhauling it).

But you weren't talking about that. You were replying to tolaris's notion of replacing lone superheros with mobs. That's not even remotely the same gameplay. Which obviously makes it a design issue.
Quote:
But you can't gauge in general how much damage you have inflicted upon somebody without a detailed medical examination. Perhaps that number would be based upon how long it would take to heal the wounds, or conversely how long it would take one to die from the wounds: not all wounds can heal.
But you can gauge the sharpness of a sword in a global numerical scale at a glance? that's highly inconsistent.

At a glance? Who says you can do that? You can certainly gauge the sharpness of a sword that you just sharpened. But you don't do that with a glance at the end of your work. You are constantly checking the sharpness of your sword as you sharpen it. If you weren't, how would you know when to stop?

But then there are of course some things you might do to yourself and your equipment which you won't immediately know if they were successful. In pen-and-paper RPGs, the GM is recommended to not tell players about the outcome of applications of skills or feats until their characters would know.

For example, if your gun is jamming every 100 rounds, you could perform maintainance to try to fix it. You'd need to fire off 100 rounds to find out whether or not it was jamming every 100 rounds, but you'd never actually know if it was completely fixed.

CRPGs I've played don't do this, but again it's not an issue of "should numbers be shown to the player". It's an issue of "should the player see numbers that he can't possibly know about"? Obviously not. But neither should the player see text or color-coded representations of numbers that he can't possibly know about.

It appears obvious to me that the correct solution is to let the player decide how stats are to be shown. At the very least, the game should show stats via various means.

For example, it would be fine if the game showed one's health via a colored guage which was full and green when you were at maximum health, and became empty and red when you were at minimum health. (For best results, let the player choose the gradient: the standard guage is still be meaningful to people with red-green blindness, but would be maximally useful if they could actually see the color change) It would also be fine if the character model reflected its physical state, and if the character portrait, if one was visible, also reflected the physical state. The model changes don't have to be particularly comprehensive: it's just that the player is usually looking at the model. If it starts to look injured, then the player knows to look at the health meter for a more detailed reply.

What's important is that I want to be able to open my character sheet and see my exact hit points. In the case of health, two character's at 100% health are not necessarily equally healthy. If one has 30 hit points and the other has 80 hit points, it's clear which I'd rather expose to threats.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by tolaris
Wouldn't it be easier to do by simply altering the scale (height) of normal/bump map which ideally already should be there on the character, as part of their basic looks? Not all games will use these, but low-end alternative would be using a secondary, greyscale texture in multiply mode to add details like shading to base colouring of the character... by altering how much this secondary texture affects the base texture you have direct control of how well pronounced the 'muscle layer' is on the character.

Yeah, I suppose it would. My camera view is just a bit too far from characters to consider bump maps, or for them to have much effect. They are pretty high poly (around 2000), which is nice, because they look like rendered sprites, but very smoothly animated.

Anyway, I was thinking of a much bigger effect, like as in the range going from 120 lbs to 400 lbs. :P - If I'm going to allow characters to grow in muscles, I want the maximum to be extreme. Wielding barbarian swords with a freakshow 300 pound monster just seems like a fun thing to try. It is true that morph targets can be scaled in the same way as bumps, though. Plus the effect can be permanently applied in software, which might be the way to go if only the player character, who has a unique mesh, is the only character who changes this way. Still, all of that clothing. It's too much work for my game. Maybe the sequel, when I can pay someone else to do it for me :)
Quote:Original post by Jiia
First of all, if your game is detailed enough to show muscle, it's going to have to be detailed enough to show clothing and armor that's being worn. My game does the latter. You can see the problem? It's easy to create morph targets (or sprites if you're going 2D) to change the body shape, but you would also have to create compatible morphs for all of the clothing that character can wear. Match this with the fact that you might have around 10 human body shapes in your game (I have 6 so far). That becomes [ number of clothing articles * number of body shapes * number of morph shapes ] morphs or sprites (I would especially feel sorry for anyone attempting to do this in 2D).

Surely you can do this with skinned meshes?

If all armor is built upon a standard skeleton, then all you'd need to do is relate the armor's skeleton to the body's skeleton.

If body shapes are really just scale transforms, you don't even need that: you would probably get away with just scaling the armor. I'm pretty sure that's what Neverwinter Nights does, and I've never noticed the armor being particularly ugly.

As for muscles, I'd undoubtably go with tolaris's suggestion of fading in a normal map. Combine that with scaling selected bones to make muscled limbs look larger. With that, you could even apply muscles to seperate parts of the body: mainly to the upper body when your combat strength increases; mainly to the lower body when your running speed increases.
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
Do proponents of the descriptive system see the player's needs changing mid to late game?

The system as described seems geared toward early explorative play, not late game mastery. How many round trips should they have to make to test out nebulous skills and weapons against undefinable challenges?

One. Until the undefinable challenge shows up in the 'paedia, which apparently is a bad idea unless it has numbers on it.

The encyclopedia might work as described, but I notice that you're now having to rely heavily on an artificial gameplay mechanic. This is effectively akin to having a character sheet, as someone was complaining about earlier. If the comparison encyclopedia is what's needed to make the idea viable, then EVERY game that follows this formula will have to come with an encyclopedia (even if you're a desert savage or underwater merman, you'll have to have one).

Quote:about the chance, thats why I suggest clarification on the actual chance is there for the people who really really want it, or are confused by it.
As time goes by, I believe more and more that colors are much better suited for this task, since they're not bound to a lexical interpretation. It should be more like with Zelda. You just get used to it.

If Zelda is the right way to go, why haven't RPGs done so already? Zelda's been out for years. There's obviously something going on in the player community that restricts it from being the dominant design.

I mean this seriously, not to trash your idea. Whenever I'm designing my science fiction RPG, for example, I always have to ask "if SF is so great why are most RPGs medieval?"

I think that the answer you'll arrive at is preference. But I don't think what you'll arrive at is something that will please a great majority of RPG gamers. At least, this is my conclusion for my own efforts-- and if you, like I am, are fine with that, then that's great.

I think this thread would have been a lot more productive if, rather than talking about how bad numbers were in RPGs, those against numbers could have simply said "how do we make a numberless RPG fun?"

Quote:
latest edit: if anyone feels like dwelving in the how, there's one remaining issue, and it's about combat. how can you tell amounts of damage inflicted and dealt without popping numbers or other glyps out of character's heads? is this solvable? if not, what are the ways around it? making combat more realistic was pointed out earlier, but it still needs to be *fun*

Maybe a cheap way would be to use particle effects and physics. If you're struck with a warhammer and go flying back 20 feet, you'll probably suspect your opponent has a bit of power. [grin] If this is built into the entire game, then knocking people down or back becomes a measure of your power (and you'll feel pleasure at being able to knock down foes that once knocked YOU down-- Phantasy Star does this, btw)

You could also use woozy stunning effects as a measure. You might also vary volume of combat clash sound effects, making more damaging sfx slightly louder and more deeply resonant. This spares you a bit from having to have dozens upon dozens of anims.

[Edited by - Wavinator on June 18, 2005 11:06:22 PM]
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quote:Original post by Nathan Baum
If all armor is built upon a standard skeleton, then all you'd need to do is relate the armor's skeleton to the body's skeleton.

Not sure I follow you exactly. The armor already uses the same skeleton, or they wouldn't animate together properly.

Quote:If body shapes are really just scale transforms, you don't even need that: you would probably get away with just scaling the armor. I'm pretty sure that's what Neverwinter Nights does, and I've never noticed the armor being particularly ugly.

I tried very hard, and it only goes so far. If you don't mind your women looking manly or men looking girly, then it's fine, I guess. And scaling limbs ends up distorting the shape of the character more than redifining it. From my own practice, I can confidently say it's nearly impossible to use the same skeleton between a 50 year old male warrior and an 18 year old girl. The main issues are around the shoulders. But if you only plan to have males or only females in your game, then that's not as much of a problem.

Quote:As for muscles, I'd undoubtably go with tolaris's suggestion of fading in a normal map. Combine that with scaling selected bones to make muscled limbs look larger. With that, you could even apply muscles to seperate parts of the body: mainly to the upper body when your combat strength increases; mainly to the lower body when your running speed increases.

Like I said, my view is a bit too far back. Here's roughly the normal distance:

a href="http://img190.echo.cx/my.php?image=image12lx.jpg" target="_blank">

Just ignore the modern clothing. The game takes place in a medieval future, but modern clothing will be extremely rare :P As you can probably guess, bump maps will do very little for that scale.
I hate when that happens. Here's the snap shot that was supposed to be linked above:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

- edit: I also missed a point. There are only two humanoid skeletons in my engine. Male and female. But there are three shapes of bodies that ride that skeleton for each gender.
Quote:Wouldn't it be easier to do by simply altering the scale (height) of normal/bump map which ideally already should be there on the character, as part of their basic looks?
Bumpmaps don't have height AFAIK. Also if you scale they need renormalization which is a costly process, and after a while rounding errors start to crop up. You could however put the result on a lightmap and draw it with different alpha values... but maybe it won't look so hot. dunno, I'm not a graphics expert.

Quote:from Nathan Baum
On the other hand, if you're making an RPG which you want to appeal to the widest possible audience, some of them will like numbers and some of them will not. Some of the people who do not like numbers may well come to find that they need numbers later on.
Or it could be the other way around as well. The assertion is completely simmetric.
I'm not saying that EVERYONE dislikes them, that should be fairly obvious this far, but I'm saying that if some people dislike them, then it's reason enough to try. It's not like you're gonna grab someone else's game from their arms and rip the numbers out of them. We'd be just creating an alternative.
If no one likes it, well, it will tank. Does it mean one shouldn't try? well I know I would like it, so chances are someone else might. Gotta take risks sometimes after all. I cmon, who would have thought that a game that doesn't feature guns would stay for so long as a #1 top seller? (yes, i know the burglar has one. That doesn't count).

Quote:Semaphores don't even communicate information by color.
Absolutely right. Language thing, I meant traffic lights. (spanish for traffic lights is semáforo)

Quote:Color hue is one-dimension, but that's only one aspect of color: the light's wavelength. The amplitude is also significant: would you typically describe the sun as 'light brown'?
Would you describe a shiny table as "dark brown"? just because something has a low saturation of a color it stops being that color. Brown, btw, suffers from this: it's actually very near orange, only darker. You can add as many dimensions you want to color, but you're really describing materials and I'm describing hues.
Still, merely talking about this makes me feel childish. You could have easily assumed that one would use maximum saturation and a mid-range light, since in any other case it becomes hard to distinguish the colors from each other and the background. Again, is there a point to this?
About colorblind people: there are also deaf people and epileptic people. Does that mean that you shouldn't use audio cues or light flashes?

Now I'm off to read the turn based combat system thread, which looks interesting.

Nice shot Jiia.
Working on a fully self-funded project
Quote:Then, how is saying "the dragon is 40 miles away and it will take 2 days to get there" different from saying "the army can travel 20 miles per day".

Ultimately, it isn't. All it does is, saves you basic math operation in the simplest case ... and in the more advanced case, a complicated calculation which takes into account all different sorts of terrain you'll have to cross, the requested movement mode and how these factors contribute to the travel time, plus whatever else.

How would you be sure to calculate the path the player intends? Are you going to assume shortest path? What if this drags them through territories they don't want to go through?
Quote:
Quote:Which is to say: It's a completely different game. It's not an RPG without numbers: it's an RTS without numbers and with some RPG elements mixed in. That's already been done, e.g. Sacrifice, Black & White.

Rather, it's to say this is RPG where the player after advancing their character enough gets to experience how it is to be commander of army of people like themselves, instead of getting to experience how it is to be a semi-god and a compact nuke. What makes the latter part of "RPG" while the former is unthinkable?

I think the whole army thing is a handwave that ignores the basic problem: You've now got a different game. It's fine if you're doing a hybrid (in fact, I'd like to play it), but you open yourself to a whole rash of concerns (some of which I tried to outline) that simply don't apply to a party or single character.

For example, if you go from an individual to a huge, warring group, the experience will be disjoint. Whatever was fun that related to being a young adventurer will now disappear when being a general. New concerns will arise, responsibilities you didn't have will crop up.

What, for example, would be the interface for choosing the army? How would you specifically group and order different units? Where would your screen focus lie? If you switch to an RTS mode, you'll begin to devalue character identification. If you lock to the character, then you'll either frustrate players because they won't have fine army control, or you'll have to issue orders by proxy and effectively watch scripts run-- very "hands off," and annoying when individual units get stuck pathfinding, or get attacked where you can't see them.

The personal touch of an RPG will be lost in translation. A general doesn't go around questing for the peasants. He probably doesn't try to resolve the relationship between a couple of married villagers for the sake of love. Nor does he go fetch magical wood to prop up an old, senile wizard's windmill.

The general is impersonal. He doesn't solve people's personal problems as the RPG hero does. He conquers towns, secures the border, perhaps plays politics in the court (never done, but could be). The tone and emphasis is different.

Because of this, what you'll get is a gaming experience that starts out one way then pulls a fast one and ends up completely different. Worse, if you want to stay a lone hero and keep the personal emotional touch, you won't advance. Even worse than that, if you make it to the army phase and enjoy it, then replay, you'll have to suffer through as the lone hero until you get there. (This is a hard one to swallow, and I've had to do it for my own design: Most people buy a game of a certain genre because they want one experience done in depth, not a bunch done lightly).

Quote:
But if you have mad dragon charging at your army, are you screaming at your group of archers "Joe, Larry and Kent, shoot the dragon! you Ben no, you are not good enough, just sit back and relax there, mate!"..?

LOTR: "LEGOLAS! KILL HIM!!!! KILL HIM!!!!" Why was Legolas singled out by Aragon to take out the kamikaze orc? Because he's the best damn archer in the entire army. You can't escape the fact that, given an RPG, NPCs will have uniqueness, and as such, players will want to tactically position that uniqueness in the most beneficial way.

The alternative, as you're suggesting, is a tactic-less zergling rush where hundreds of clone knights mob a target. In that case, why even bother with the idea of an army if you're going to strip the general of significant decisions of varying risk and reward (think about what decisions generals have to make).

Quote:
Of course an army is not a sword; this is why i said in the first place the system is for gameplay where it's *nature* of threats/challenges that changes as player advances their character.

Would such game cease to be RPG? Again, only if you hold opinion it's okay for RPG to have the player be either a sword-waving human or --having advanced enough-- sword-waving demi-god, but not to be a human who --having advanced enough-- waves their sword to command an army rather than poke things with it. What gives?

One of the biggest design problems I've had so far in trying to blend empire game and RPG is that of the training curve. A game must train you at each level to progress, and do so by exposing you to specific challenges that allow you to slowly sharpen your skills. The problem is, if your scope broadens, your training curve goes up exponentially.

So you'll have to figure out, at each level of being a hero, how it relates to having an army. You can't just suddenly spring an army on the player and expect them to be competent. So they must be giving orders and dealing with tactics at level one, and they must know that they're being groomed to be a general.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quote:Original post by Wavinator

Then, how is saying "the dragon is 40 miles away and it will take 2 days to get there" different from saying "the army can travel 20 miles per day".

How would you be sure to calculate the path the player intends? Are you going to assume shortest path? What if this drags them through territories they don't want to go through?

That is a problem that exists with both proposed ways of doing so. If you ask me, you are either given a route by the player, or you take the shortest (= min traveltime). You may also take the longest route and say it won't take longer that that, but consigering how computers think this will result in traveling once arround the globe. It hasn't much to do with how you represent you results.
If no one likes it, well, it will tank. Does it mean one shouldn't try? well I know I would like it, so chances are someone else might. Gotta take risks sometimes after all. I cmon, who would have thought that a game that doesn't feature guns would stay for so long as a #1 top seller? (yes, i know the burglar has one. That doesn't count).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with experimenting with genres. What's wrong is implying, as some here are, that the way they want to do things is the one true way of doing things.
Quote:
Quote:Semaphores don't even communicate information by color.
Absolutely right. Language thing, I meant traffic lights. (spanish for traffic lights is semáforo)

Although traffic lights are a universal standard, that's not because the meaning of red and green is inherently obvious: people have had to learn what red and green traffic lights mean.

If your game features traffic lights, then using colors is fine. On the other hand, there's no standard gradient for representing somebody's health, the sharpness of a sword, or the difficulty of .
Quote:
Still, merely talking about this makes me feel childish. You could have easily assumed that one would use maximum saturation and a mid-range light, since in any other case it becomes hard to distinguish the colors from each other and the background.

That doesn't follow. I find it quite easy to tell bright blue from medium bluegray, and can distinguish both from a green background. There some combinations of color which are difficult to distinguish, but that's true even at maximum saturation and medium brightness.
Quote:
About colorblind people: there are also deaf people and epileptic people. Does that mean that you shouldn't use audio cues or light flashes?

Obviously not. I already settled that in my post, but perhaps you decided not to read that part. Because some people are color blind, the game should not rely upon color to communicate information. I said that it would be fine to use color in conjunction with other presentation techniques. Similarly, it would be fine to use sounds in conjunction with other presentation techniques.

Photosensitive epilespy is likely more difficult to deal with. I don't know much about it, but I think a post filter which smooths out flashing effects could be effective: the game would look worse, but only photosensitive people would need to turn the filter on, and their other option is not playing the game. Another option is to make sure that any flashing visual effects don't have a fixed frequency: strobe lighting would be out, but a randomly flickering light would probably be safe.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement