• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

compiling perl source code

This topic is 4723 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi i'm trying to compile the perl source code, i'm a little lost though, i've never done something exactly like this. anybody have an idiot proof tutorial or step by step guide on exactly what to do? i tried googling it but couldn't find exactly what i was looking for. i've downloaded the archive file and exctracted it, i'm a little lost on what to do now. i'm using windows xp and i've got microsoft visual studio.net and dev c++ compilers installed on my computer thanks

Advertisement
hi!

perl doesn't get compiled. it get's interpreted.. your c++-compiler won't help you... get a perl interpreter ..take a look at this :

http://www.perl.com/download.csp

hope this helps

Unless he means that he's trying to compile his written-in-C++ perl interpreter [smile].

In any case - more details are required before we can effectivly answer the question. What exactly is the problem?

My first advice, of course, check the manual, readme, or documentation that came with the archive. Either that or find one already compiled for you.

oh yeah, sorry for the confusion
i had downloaded the file stable.tar.gz from the link mentioned in the first reply. it is the source code distribution of perl. the book i'm gonna follow suggests compiling the source code, but doesn't offer any instructions on how to do it. the readme file that comes in the archive seems pretty daunting. i don't even know what a "make" program is, i've never had to use one before. i was hoping there would be a dumbed down instruction on how to get started but i couldn't find one. i see there's quite a few binary distributions, maybe i'll give one of them a try. does anybody recommend one over the rest? i noticed at least one of them is available as something that must be paid for, i'd rather have a free one.
when i get home i'll see if i can tackle the readme file if there's no other instructions.

thanks

is that binary distribution free? or is it like an evaluation thing where you gotta buy it after a certain period of time?

oh ok cool
i was kind of confused, i guess they're selling an IDE or something, so i'll be fine just working with notepad :)

Quote:
Original post by ctaclas
oh ok cool
i was kind of confused, i guess they're selling an IDE or something, so i'll be fine just working with notepad :)

Read the docs that come with the distribution on how to execute a perl script from the command prompt.

You can certainly run perlscripts from a command prompt; but if you're going to do any webpage stuff, why not run a small webserver on your own machine? That will allow you to do the SSI's and dynamic webpage stuff I'm _guessing_ you're wanting to try.

www.imatix.com offers the "Xitami" webserver (basically) for free.

(just an un-solicited suggestion [wink] )

i've already got apache on my computer so i should be all set for that
i've been doing php but i wanna try perl too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!