Removing CPU heatsink and fan..

Started by
13 comments, last by vNistelrooy 18 years, 10 months ago
I need help. Yesterday, after nearly a year of buying a new PC, my CPU seems to have something wrong with it. Its a P4 3.2Ghz Prescott 1MB Cache with stock fan/heatsink. The problem is, yesterday when I was playing a game at full load my computer shut off and wouldn't start up. I thought it was the PSU at first, until I saw that my CPU was getting to 90 degrees C under full load!! Normally, the highest it got to under load was 70 max. I figured that I could put some thermal paste on but I cannot remove the fan and heatsink. Its impossible. I have tried everything, there is no way to get it off after releasing the two leavers that hold it down. The heatsink isn't stuck to the CPU as it is sliding around.. How do you get it off? I've tried everything. I'm currently idleing at 60 degrees C... Please help :D
Advertisement
Your temps are insane. Use force if needed to remove the HSF, just make sure it isn't attached to the MB.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
...And that's why I thank god I decided to get an amd64 (I'm idling at 38 degrees C :P). Also, before trying brute force, make sure you've unlatched it from everything--you don't want to rip apart your motherboard.
Some types of goo they use to bridge the CPU and the heatsinc end up with the consistency of glue after being put under such pressure and heat for a time. Gently twist the heatsinc back and forth a few degrees for 10 seconds or so and it should come free. Don't pull on it straight up to get it off, or you're liable to rip the CPU right out of the ZIF socket (I've done this before).
I've tried. The heatsink actually MOVES around, it slides around. I'm currently idleing at 75 degrees C! I need to get this heatsink off but it is impossible. What would be the best way to try to remove it? Unscrew the motherboard and see if I can CUT it off?
Don't turn the PC on anymore. Do you want to kill your CPU? Try putting the MB in a freezer for 10 minutes, or just take it to the shop you have bought it from.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Quote:Original post by vNistelrooy
Don't turn the PC on anymore. Do you want to kill your CPU? Try putting the MB in a freezer for 10 minutes, or just take it to the shop you have bought it from.

Pfff the shop charges me £40 to change heatsink/fan, thats WITHOUT paying for the heatsink/fan. Fuckers. I could do it myself if ONLY I knew how to remove this stupid heatsink and fan. Are they normally clipped on that I have to use a screwdriver to get them off?

Quote:Original post by JexMX
Quote:Original post by vNistelrooy

Pfff the shop charges me £40 to change heatsink/fan, thats WITHOUT paying for the heatsink/fan. Fuckers. I could do it myself if ONLY I knew how to remove this stupid heatsink and fan. Are they normally clipped on that I have to use a screwdriver to get them off?

Yes. Use a flathead to fit into a side clip of the heatsink. You'll need to push down a small piece of metal and gently lift up the heatsink. Excessive tug or pushing shouldn't be necessary. Good luck and be careful!
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
I'm having trouble picturing this heatsink. I've never heard of a heatsink that wouldn't come off. Usually they are either clipped on or screwed on. But if it's screwed on, the screws should be accessible from the top of the board. I'd like to see a pic of this to understand it.
______________________________"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
I've had a heatsink stick to my CPU before. In my case, it was that the heatsink had been applied with such pressure, and with so much grease, that the heatsink was stuck to the CPU with a vacuum-like effect. This may be what happened to you. I suppose I was more forceful than you, because I ended up pulling the heatsink out, along with the chip still stuck to it, even though the CPU socket lever was still down. Luckily, the CPU didn't sustain any serious damage. Of course, I do not recommend being forceful [like I was].

If you can, try and slide the heatsink over enough so that you can pull the lever up on the CPU socket. Then pull the heatsink and fan out and slide the CPU off of the heatsink.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement