Coupla questions 'bout Linus...

Started by
22 comments, last by chollida1 18 years, 11 months ago
1. Is he rich? 2. What is he doing now? 3. Is he married? Don't ask.
I eat heart attacks
Advertisement
1) No.
2) Working on Linux.
3) Yes.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds
Just wonderin'. It seems like he's not the egotistical kind of guy like some are in the OSS community.
I eat heart attacks
Quote:Original post by Cipher3D
Just wonderin'. It seems like he's not the egotistical kind of guy like some are in the OSS community.

Quote:"My name is Linus, and I am your god." (1998)

I love that. [grin]
Can you ever really know what someone is like via published reports? I mean, he could be egotistical - perhaps even more so than RMS - but savvy enough to understand the value of "humility" and "modesty" in advancing his cause.

Just a thought.
Well, at least he doesn't rub off as the egotistical kind of guy. If that furthers his cause, then all the better (for him). Well, there are some things that irritate me, such as his comment about never having used Windows. That strikes me as irrational aversion towards something that's opposite your cause.
I eat heart attacks
Or maybe he grew up on Unix, and by the time Windows was usable (~1995) he had his own operating system :D.
Well, at least he doesn't rub off as the egotistical kind of guy. If that furthers his cause, then all the better (for him). Well, there are some things that irritate me, such as his comment about never having used Windows. That strikes me as irrational aversion towards something that's opposite your cause.
It's not an aversion though, unlike most people, he probably wasn't forced to use Windows or needed to avoid it. He started Linux as a replacement for Minix, not as a competitor for Windows.

It's not an aversion for windows any more than my friend who used a Sun Blade as a desktop, because he spends all his time using them at work.

How does he contribute to Linux? Does he still write code? Or is he just some manager overseeing what comes in to Linux? I'm still very confused about how Linux works. From what I've heard and what I've been force fed, it seems like "Linux is the creation of millions," but I know that's impossible. Is there a company out there that just turns out code for Linux and does consulting?
I eat heart attacks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement