What makes a wiki what it is?

Started by
4 comments, last by Qw3r7yU10p! 18 years, 10 months ago
In your opinion, what makes a wiki? Also, what features would you like to see in a wiki? (Ability to upload pictures/movies/files is just one example)
Advertisement
@1: Wikipedia: Wiki

@2: Easy styling, versioning, and user-based security.
I'd say a wiki is just something which is easily user-editable.

here's The definition from Wiki.org

I think being able to upload content as you mentioned is important for most wikis.
Perhaps a special option for user pages (most wiki-authors create a user page that they link their name to on contributions) that would provide a list of articles which the author has written. (yes it's possible for the author to maintain this list, but it could also be done automatically if built into the wiki)
Nifty wiki feature: local tree view of current page and surroundings (say, parent/siblings/children) displayed somewhere in some corner or something. I've seen such a thing, and it makes it really nice to navigate a particular topic.
The wiki is free and can be well maintained by users. I would like to see more people make use of it.
I would say the fundamental features of a wiki are the ability to easily edit pages of information and automatically create useful links between those pages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement