few questions about building a simple game

Started by
5 comments, last by ccc123 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys, Can someone please help me with some information related to the development of a relatively simple game? Here are my questions: 1. is it possible to develop a game, similar in complexity with the ones integrated in Windows (i.e., pinball, freecell, hearts) (no 3D, no crazy graphs, no complicated formulas to calculate the points), with only one person/programmer? 2. if the answer is yes, what would be a decent timeframe for building a game like this? 3. after reading some of the treads about salary, I wonder what else would motivate a programmer to get involved with a small project? 4. is sharing the ownership of the business something that a programmer would be interested in as a form of compensation, given the elevated risk associated with this option? Thank you very much.
Advertisement
Yes - it can take less than a day if you are a fairly experienced programmer and are certified in MS Paint :)

If you aren't getting payed, you better enjoy your work. I absolutely love programming anything, so I code about 5 hours a day, but I only have time because I'm 16. I think that stock options (#4) is what you are talking about, and that is supposed to be a fairly common way to pay the workers. It is probably about as risky as the stock market, especially since all your money is in one interest, but it probably pays off well if you do a good job. Its probably also a good motivator.
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
Hi CC123 and welcome to the forums. To Answer your questions:

1) Making a game similar to those you mentioned by a single person is completely possible

2) The timeframe required for development is inversely proportional to your experience. If you have years of experience writing win32 apps, then a game such as pinball shouldn’t take that long. But, if you are just starting out in C++, then it’s going to take a lot longer to write. How long is a piece of string?

3) The majority of programmers here aren’t really motivated by money. If that’s all you are interested in, then I suggest another avenue to make your wealth. Even though the games industry is big money, its only a very few programmers that can make in to the rich list.

You’ll find the biggest motivators for programmers here are:

Freedom to make a game of your own design
Enjoy coding / solving problems
Seeing that code gradually evolve into a working game
If the game is popular, then the possibility of a small financial reward.

4) Depends on how much others perceive your business as succeeding. You’ll find people are willing to join early in a program if they see the time they need to give is quite small. This is because there is less of a risk for them and an end goal is visible. You’ll also notice if you browse the help wanted forum, that if someone is asking for assistance and they already have a lot programmed, then they are likely to get more offers than someone who has little to show that they are serious about the software they are writing.

My advice is to start working on a game you are interested in making. Find out for yourself how complex it’s going to be become, and once you have a little experience under your belt post a request for help on the help wanted forum.

Cheers,
----------------------------------------------------
Check out my casual TBS game blog
----------------------------------------------------
thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, guys.

I am not a programmer. I am currently developing a game plan/story/specifications (not sure what's the correct terminology), which is the obvious first step in the whole process.

you guys are saying that for an experienced programmer a game of reduced complexity is just a matter of days. that's encouraging! thanks again.
It would have to be a very simple game to be cranked out al professional quality in a matter of days.
And if it was that simple there wouldn't be much money to be made from it.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
probably it's not going to be that simple. but even a timeframe of weeks doesn't sound that bad. anyway, I guess I have to develop the story/specs first...

obscure, I agree with you, although in some situations it's better not to look at a game as a stand-alone product. a game can be a complement to an organization's offerings. it can be an additional communication channel with the marketplace. so, even if the game doesn't bring money in, it can help the company sell other offerings.

of course, that is why it is important that producing the game should not cost a fortune. in other words, the game should be relatively simple.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement