personality / mental stats

Started by
3 comments, last by Icefox 18 years, 10 months ago
Imagine that every character has the same basic physical stats and instead the game allowed you to juggle mental stats, what sort of stats could we use? initiative. reaction time gift of the gab empathy manners courage confidence etc.? Any ideas?
Advertisement
A few things that come to mind:

Perception (even between two people with the same sets of eyes and ears, one might be more likely to notice things than the other - e.g. a very soft sound, or notice something moving outside the window at night)

Memory (could be divided into a short-term and long-term)

Skills/knowledge

Psi powers? (if you want them in your game world)

Introvert/extrovert
Willingness to try new things
Nice/mean
Looks out for themself/looks out for others

Can't think of any more right now, but look at the sims for examples.
I hate signatures.
I came up with a stat system a little while ago [may google-cache be my witness that I did it first!]. Not terribly inventive, but I think it was interesting.

Characters had 6 main statistics, 3 physical, 3 non-physical; each broken down optionally into 3 sub-stats.

For the non-physical:

Intelligence
- memory
- cognitive ability
- creativity

Charisma
- looks
- presense
- persuasion

Perception
- senses [actual sight/smell/hearing during active use]
- empathy ['gut' feeling]
- alertness [peripheral vision, picking up new things when not looking for them]
Analytic-ness ("Okay, we're trapped deep in a cave filled with enemies, we need to be well-rested and make sure all our equipment is in top shape.")

Creativity ("Okay, we're trapped deep in a cave filled with enemies, I have this really cool idea on how to get out with only a banana peel, a ten foot pole, and a dog whistle!")

Optimism (could affect morale/performance of other's stats, especially if combined with gift-of-the-gab)
-----http://alopex.liLet's Program: http://youtube.com/user/icefox192

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement