Direct X SDK

Started by
5 comments, last by fuchiefck 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi everyone I have a question about DirectX SDK 8.0 and 9.0. I am learning C++ by reading Game Programming ALL IN ONE. This book uses the old DirectX SDK 8.0. I think the current DirectX SDK is 9.0. If I use 9.0 will the C++ codes still work? Also, i don't think you can download directX SDK 8.0. Thanks!
Advertisement
I think DX is backward compatible. Each interface is postfixed by an SDK version number. You can thus link DX 8 applications against the DX 9 SDK, using only the DX 8 interface. But I have no experiene with this and maybe it is very complicated to get this right.

Greetz,

Illco
Everything DX is backwards compatible. You'll be fine. Follow the book you're using to learn DX and upgrade to the newer versions as you become more competent.
Wellll. Not quite.

The DirectX runtime is backwards compatible. But the DirectX SDK is not. So if you want to program with the DX8 interfaces, you'll need (at the very least) the header files and import libraries which correspond to DX8; the DX9 ones won't cut it. Once the program's compiled, of course, people can use the DX9 runtime to run it.
just one thing to note, some of the interface names that contains the version number needs to be changed, eg in DX 8, the device interface is IDirect3DDevice8, whereas in DX9, it is IDirect3DDevice9.

-fuchiefck
-fuchiefck----------------------------------------------------------"Inside the world that you as a programmer or developer create, you are God" - Zerbst & Duvel
Let me get this clear. Basically the DirectX SDK 8.0 codes will not work for DirectX SDK 9.0.
Quote:Original post by askavenger
Let me get this clear. Basically the DirectX SDK 8.0 codes will not work for DirectX SDK 9.0.

no it will not work

-fuchiefck
-fuchiefck----------------------------------------------------------"Inside the world that you as a programmer or developer create, you are God" - Zerbst & Duvel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement