Original Post
For the 4E4 contest, I'm going to do an RTS entry. While the graphics and general game stuff shouldn't raise any suprises, I've got the problem that I've never really done any AI programming before. I've a little knowledge from some courses at university about different searches like depth/breadth - first, A* etc but I'm looking for some articles/tutorials specific to a RTS world. I had a look at GD's article lists but can anyone recommend the best resources they have used? I've got as far as realising that there are at least 2 distinct AI 'levels' for an RTS game. In a broad sense there's the game logic AI - equivalent to me deciding what to build and where, when and who to attack with what etc - and the unit AI to do with avoiding obstacles, responding to attacks and so forth. Is this the kind of architecture others have/would use, or would there be many separate levels of AI behaviour? Thanks.