Updating the For Beginners forum FAQ

Started by
30 comments, last by Spoonbender 18 years, 7 months ago
Why use #include <*> instead of #include <*.h>?
How do I become a programmer over night?

and probably a lesson to answer questions like
What's the best book/internet tutorial to learn from?
because seeing as there is no real answer and a LIST of sites/books don't exactly answer the question it should be answered something along the lines of considering their personal presence or its better to have a book you like and can study from instead of staring at a screen because you do enough of that when your programming anyway

Edit:
Someone also previously said something about people asking A versus B topics. Someone could make a small &#106avascript that asks what the user wants to compare like "Direct3D" then "OpenGL" which just redirects them to http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=direct3d+vs+opengl&meta=<br><br><!--EDIT--><span class=editedby><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - Jemburula on July 4, 2005 8:33:28 PM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->
What we do in life... Echoes in eternity
Advertisement
-Is (Java, C#, VB(.NET)) really that slow?
-Is a design document really needed?
-Why is making an MMORPG first a bad idea?
-How many games that started here have succeded?
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Here's my advice (coming from a noob, so I can delete this if you want :))

In the FAQ, make a few lists on different paths to learning game programming:

I.E.

Path 1

Learn C++
Learn DX
Practice
Develop first trial (Learn from failures)
Practice

Path 2

Learn VisualBasic
Learn OGL
Practice
Develop some trial games and learn from them
Practice

You get the idea...
You might also want to add notices like "Path 1 is recommended for people with no experience in programming at all"
D▪J▪ П◦3◦X™
I suggest you "leverage" question 0 from the Networking Forum FAQ. Every FAQ should start with that Q/A :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
I suggest you "leverage" question 0 from the Networking Forum FAQ. Every FAQ should start with that Q/A :-)

Sounds good [smile]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
"What sort of computer should I get for game development."

This is looking like a lot of information for the FAQ though, perhaps an update to 'For Beginners' is also in order so that more detailed information can be given without having the longest forum FAQ ever?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Perhaps we should start a wiki FAQ, so it's easy to contribute useful questions, answers, code and examples. I'm happy to put one up if people think it's a good idea.
I agree with the wiki idea.
I know it says "Updating the For Beginners forum FAQ, but the For Beginners page was mentioned as being outdated. While I know FAQ stands for frequently asked questions, it would be nice if the Start Here page wouldn't have such a Win32/DirectX bias. We all know SDL, OpenGL, and a number of technologies exist, but you would think that games are only made on Windows using Microsoft technology if you looked at that page. "Programming Linux Games" and "Mac Game Programming" could be added to the list of game programming books.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
My mane is Razvan. Sorry for my English and sorry for all mistakes.

I need to create a game for a contest and i need help to study the directx9 on visual c++ 6.0. i have no other knowledge in directx and in visual c++ 6.
I have a very good knowledge in Borland c++ and DJGPP and dos graphics.I want to learn visual c++ to create better games with better graphics.I have a book : Advanced 3D Game Programming With Directx 9 but is too complicated for me. Can anyone help me?

With what should i start?

[Edited by - Raxvan on July 15, 2005 10:45:55 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement