STL vectors and operator delete

Started by
18 comments, last by indigox3 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by indigox3
In other words v is a vector of pointers, not objects

Well, pointers don't have destructors, so nothing happens to what they point to when the vector and its elements get destroyed.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Wow - what a lot to say very little, still it probably felt intelligent at the time.

More simply, vectors allocate and deallocate memory as required.

If adding objects to a vector like in your example, the vector will allocate memory (on the heap using new) and make copies of your objects. Unless you're using a very old implementation of STL that contains such a bug, it's not a bug in STL. Certainly not one i've encountered anyway.

[headshake][rolleyes] what babbling off-topic rubbish are you on about? not that it is any of your business but i was trying to explain something to indigox3 in reference to this:

Along those lines, ~vector() calls _Tidy() calls allocator::deallocate() calls delete with the pointer to the first element of the vector as an argument.

As to what was going on. The default allocator's (std::allocator) deallocate method doesn't implicitly invoke delete like people normally do because that would also destroy aswell as deallocate elements, the allocator concept separates allocation/deallocation & construction/destruction for efficiency reasons.
Quote:Original post by Fruny

Well, pointers don't have destructors, so nothing happens to what they point to when the vector and its elements get destroyed.

I'm totally confused by this. operator delete takes only pointers as arguments.
I know the destructor is being called because I am setting breakpoints up in my debugger and I am breaking in the destructor, although maybe I am not understanding you.

I even brought the code downto
class A : public B{public:A(){}~A(){}std::vector<int> mInt;};main(){A* a = new A();a->mInt.push_back(12);delete a;}

and I *still* crash.... I'm totally stumped..

Oddly, if I comment out a->mInt.push_back(12) I dont get a crash
um, show us B!
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
B derives C, C derives D, D derives E, E derives F, F derives...ugh

I will take a closer look on monday...

thanks for the help ppl!

Quote:Original post by Fruny

I'm totally confused by this. operator delete takes only pointers as arguments.

Right, but when you call delete on a pointer it deletes (and potentially calls the destructor of) the pointed to object, not the pointer. You can try to delete an actual pointer if you call delete on the address of the pointer, but the destructor of the pointer is a no-op. Ex:
#include <iostream>class Boring {  public:    Boring() { std::cout << "Construct me!" << std::endl; }    Boring(const Boring &) { std::cout << "Construct me!" << std::endl; }    ~Boring() { std::cout << "Destroy me!" << std::endl; }};int main(int, char **) {  Boring ** pointer_to_pointer = new Boring *; // creates a new Boring pointer  *pointer_to_pointer = new Boring;            // creates a new Boring    delete pointer_to_pointer; // deletes the pointer, does nothing to the Boring                               //   and causes a mem leak  return 0;}

As you can see, deleting the pointer does nothing to delete the object pointed to by the pointer.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
As you can see, deleting the pointer does nothing to delete the object pointed to by the pointer.

Ah, ok I see what you mean now. I made sure I am using:

delete pointer;

and not

delete pointer_to_pointer;
Anyone know if there can be problems using the stl vector from a library?

The code I have is all defined in a library which is compiled to a DLL. I wrote a new class that does not inhierit from anything inside the DLL, but is still defined within the DLL.

class __declspec( dllexport ) A  // forgot the "__declspec(dllexport)" last time!{public:A();~A();std::vector<int> aaa;void push() {  aaa.push_back(1);}};

Then, I am linking to the lib from a visual studio.net 2003 project, and doing:

int func(){   A* a = new A;   a->aaa.push_back(1);   //a->push();  // if this line is used instead of the above line no crash   delete a;     //crash here. }

Is it possible that the vector is allocating memory differently when push_back is called from the application, as opposed to the DLL?
or are there some other gotchas with using DLLs that I am unaware of?
C++ + DLL's = Bad Mojo

There are so many different things that can go wrong when using classes from a DLL that it's not even funny. The two most likely problems with what you seem to be trying to do are: one, the DLL and the application are using different heaps. To fix that is compiler dependent, but for MSVC, you need to make sure that both the DLL and the executable are using the a DLL version of the runtime library. (Either the /MD or /MDd switch). The second possiblity is that you need to properly export the vector class. To that, see this article on using templates with DLLs.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
C++ + DLL's = Bad Mojo

Agreed. Right now I am wrapping the vector calls with simple Push/Size/Get/etc methods and using other methods in the DLL to handle the allocation/deallocation of memory to avoid this problem. Everything seems to be working now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement