Scope question

Started by
11 comments, last by Nypyren 18 years, 10 months ago
This code shouldnt work correctly, right? The objects stored at the adress are destroyed when the loop is over so why does this still function as normal? b is derived class of A.

vector<A*> vec;

for(int x=0; x < 10; x++){
        B ob;
        vec.push_back(&ob);
    }

vec[5]->getv();
Advertisement
Perhaps the memory at that location hasnt yet been overwritten allowing you to still use the objects.
I wouldn't be surprised if the compiler was waiting until the end of the routine to free the memory, either that or what Invader X said.
I did a test by storing addresses of classes in a vector, by storing the x value inside of them ( from 0 to 9 ). After the loop exited every vector had the last x value stored in it, which was 9.
Well, what compiler are you using? You could probably look at the assembly generated by the compiler to see what it's doing; actually, I guess I can test it right now.
Dev-cpp IDE, mingw32-c++ compiler, how do I do that? I cant even get the debugger on this working, it doesnt do anything.
Well, you'd have to know assembly. Here's a test program I compiled:
#include <stdio.h>int main() {  for(int i=0; i<10; ++i) {    int c = i;    printf("%d\n", c);  }  return 0;}

It's in C, but it shouldn't matter. Anyway, this is what gcc produced for the assembly output:
	.file	"test.c"	.section	.rodata.LC0:	.string	"%d\n"	.text.globl main	.type	main, @functionmain:.LFB3:	pushq	%rbp.LCFI0:	movq	%rsp, %rbp.LCFI1:	subq	$16, %rsp.LCFI2:	movl	$0, -4(%rbp).L2:	cmpl	$9, -4(%rbp)	jle	.L5	jmp	.L3.L5:	movl	-4(%rbp), %eax	movl	%eax, -8(%rbp)	movl	-8(%rbp), %esi	movl	$.LC0, %edi	movb	$0, %al	call	printf	leaq	-4(%rbp), %rax	incl	(%rax)	jmp	.L2.L3:	movl	$0, %eax	leave	ret.LFE3:	.size	main, .-main	.section	.eh_frame,"a",@progbits.Lframe1:	.long	.LECIE1-.LSCIE1.LSCIE1:	.long	0x0	.byte	0x1	.string	""	.uleb128 0x1	.sleb128 -8	.byte	0x10	.byte	0xc	.uleb128 0x7	.uleb128 0x8	.byte	0x90	.uleb128 0x1	.align 8.LECIE1:.LSFDE1:	.long	.LEFDE1-.LASFDE1.LASFDE1:	.long	.LASFDE1-.Lframe1	.quad	.LFB3	.quad	.LFE3-.LFB3	.byte	0x4	.long	.LCFI0-.LFB3	.byte	0xe	.uleb128 0x10	.byte	0x86	.uleb128 0x2	.byte	0x4	.long	.LCFI1-.LCFI0	.byte	0xd	.uleb128 0x6	.align 8.LEFDE1:	.section	.note.GNU-stack,"",@progbits	.ident	"GCC: (GNU) 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)"

This was compiled on a 64-bit machine, and my assembly skills aren't what they used to be, but from what I can make out it looks like gcc, and by extension mingw, allocate and deallocate stack space on-demand for blocks, meaning Invader X is probably right.
i know assembly, but this debugger doesnt even do anything, im used to DOS Debug, not this Dev-CPP Debug that has no effect.
The reason it works is that the vector does a copy of the object. You probably don't implement a copy cstr or operator= so it does a memberwise copy creating a new copy of your objects.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Quote:Original post by chollida1
The reason it works is that the vector does a copy of the object. You probably don't implement a copy cstr or operator= so it does a memberwise copy creating a new copy of your objects.

Cheers
Chris

He's pushing the address of the objects, not the actual objects themselves.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement